Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Swarm trap

Blog Entries

Default Swarm trap

Has anyone tried or had any experience of the Swarm Trap that Thornes have in their new catalogue ? How efficient have you found them ? I'm considering getting one, but would just like to sound them out first for the pros and cons - thanks.

Someone I know has one. I have not had the opportunity to quizz him (lucky he). He has I know expressed the opinion that it is too small, but has worked as the queen has been restrained and the swarm hung off it.
    My opinion is that it is very expensive and is no more than a simplified and inferior version of the old drone trap. It is more convenient to use than an excluder under the brood box and would work in a similar manner. As a temporary measure, it is likely to be adequate; i.e use it if the bees are likely to swarm so that your colony is not decimated when you return in the late afternoon. I enjoyed your post - you have me thinking now

Blog Entries

Thanks for the reply Dark Bee, I would be keen to know if you get the opportunity to quiz your friend and apart from being too small, his other views on it too. I know that there will be nothing to beat the beekeepers vigilance and preventative methods chosen, but I have a hive where it is just imperative that no swarming happens - a hard won by site which I am just not willing to give up, so it would be as a safety measure really. With all the best intentions in the world and observations etc, as we all know, bees can and will outfox us !

Not heard of this until now Marion. My cynical view is that if it was good we would have all heard about it.
    I suppose it's an alternative to inspecting in the rain (as you have to sometimes)

Could you try using something like the anti swarm system on Modern Beekeeping? It's basically a three and a half sided eke above the queen excluder. http://www.modernbeekeeping.co.uk/it...i-swarm-system and this pdf http://www.modernbeekeeping.co.uk/gr...structions.pdf I don't think it's 100% folproof, but I don't think any system is.

Blog Entries

Mmm. Wouldn't recommend wasting money on any of that. Better be a better aparist... Help your bees do what you, they and nature want! Just keep them in check by making new colonies. There are at least two methods that even my wife could manage (she puts up with my beekeeping), neither of which would affect honey harvested.
    If you want to keep your site, I'd suggest an artificial swarm by moving the hive 3ft and leaving in its place a hive with food and pollen, one frame of brood in all phases with attending bees, and the rest empty frames. Do this when queen cups are polished on a day they are flying well. Break out all but three queen cells a week later, about three weeks later your new queen should be laying.... Less expense hassle and equipment, and your site is doubly secure
    Last edited by Calum; 11-03-2013 at 06:34 AM.

Another alternative is to Demaree when they are getting strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Comb View Post
    alternative is to Demaree when they are getting strong.
    I agree.

A Demaree, a walkaway split or an artificial swarm as described by Calum is more likely to work but I'm not so sure about leaving 3 intact queencells.

Blog Entries

I'd leave three open ones if I could (from youngest brood), so long as they are well spread out they'll be different ages and should end up hatching at different times, gives the first more time to kill the other two. Shouldn't be a problem when they are all on the same frame. Thanks for the terms, I only learnt to be a beekeeper in Germany so don't know the terms in english!
    Last edited by Calum; 11-03-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Blog Entries

All good stuff - thanks for all the excellent views and advice.