Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thornes email today

Blog Entries

Same here, but you get people who don't treat who think they might have hygienic or resistant bees and they invariably end up with varroa problems at the wrong time of year.

I agree, diaapointingly we had members of our association who did'nt take up our free hand out of O.A last November with the result they might be the people who either lose their colonies or who suffer from DWV or with very weak hives that struggle to make it thro' to autumn.

Looks like a slow release system for Formic acid. Usually Formic needs a certain temperature to work so may not be as effective if we have a cold Autumn. Where I think it may be usfull is if you are using the colony for drone production in the summer you would want something to kill the varroa in the drone cells.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Where I think it may be usfull is if you are using the colony for drone production in the summer you would want something to kill the varroa in the drone cells.
    I cull all my drone frames, from a good colony I want to use for drone production - I'll open 50 - 100 cells and count the varroa, if the count is ok they can keep the rest of the frame... If the count was high (and you believe some colonies are better at controlling their levels) then better to cull..

Oh and I expect you cannot treat and then still harvest honey. Certainly not in Germany anyway.

I think you can still harvest the honey as Fomic is classed as a natural substance. They say you can harvest honey even after using Apistan strips but generally the rule is not to take honey if you use any kind of treatment

Blog Entries

A well, its against the law here in Germany.
    The law is very clear on honey, as it has had laws for beekeepers for a long time (about 1350).
    The one that curtails use of medication (including formic and oxalic acid) states basically,
    that nothing may be added or removed from honey. Its topical of this includes heat or not.
    Any medication that could be absorbed be the honey is included in this.
    Fair enough in my view.
    Horse free too...

Blog Entries

You wouldn't add sugar either (alought it is already in honey)