Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nosema Cerana in Scotland

Blog Entries

I've been using Hivemaker's recipe for a few years now (didn't realise Hivemaker and Pete-L were one and the same!). All of my Autumn feed gets a dose and if nothing else it keeps the syrup from fermenting. If there are any positive effects re Nosema I'll happily take those as well!

About the recipe - I was able to source almost pure alcohol in very small quantities through my contacts (I do live in the heart of whisky country after all!) but it's been getting harder and harder to get hold of. Am I right in thinking surgical spirit is ok to use? I know it's high percentage alcohol but doesn't it have added gubbins to stop you drinking it? And if so are the bees ok with it?

Isopropyl alcohol is better than surgical spirit, can be bought online or from many chemist shops.

Blog Entries

speak of the devil!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete L View Post
    Isopropyl alcohol is better than surgical spirit, can be bought online or from many chemist shops.
    Pete L

Thanks for that recipe
    It did cause some friction in the kitchen with the missus
    I don't smell thymol as much I think I'm used to it
    On the other hand once it's made its just lovely milk like stuff which you could put on your cornflakes (if you were a bee)

[QUOTE=The Drone Ranger;16766]Pete L................................................. ....

I don't smell thymol as much I think I'm used to it .................................................. .......

Mercifully the olafactory organs get fatigued quickly when they are overloaded.

I shall be having a stab too at this receipe - so my thanks also to Mr Pete.

P.S. I will experiment with a different type of alcohol - just bought an 18' length of 3/4" copper pipe.
    Last edited by Dark Bee; 24-03-2013 at 11:30 AM.

just bought an 18' length of 3/4" copper pipe. Still gets to you sometimes then Dark Bee
    Two peanuts were walking down the street, unfortunately one was assaulted

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    just bought an 18' length of 3/4" copper pipe. Still gets to you sometimes then Dark Bee
    Two peanuts were walking down the street, unfortunately one was assaulted
    Nothing offensive was intended to be expressed or implied, if I have annoyed you then my apologies, it was not what I intended. For the record, the copper pipe mentioned is of the size commonly used to make a worm for the distillation of poteen (spirit). By the time it has been run three times and cut both ends each time - the spirit will be purer than than any commercially available. The end of the worm will also most likely have been dissolved, it is not for nothing the first cupful through, is thrown on the ground as a drink for the fairies - "deoch na seoighe".

Dark Bee
    I guessed it would be something to do with ddrrrinkk!!
    I thought it would be a lot thinner than 3/4" pipe
    That sound more like something you fill with lead when visiting a noisy neighbour
    I note your post ends with the latin phrase "a drink comes before a story"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjGdXoruJCU
    check this link
    The guy hasn't a clue what the fairies like he's still using up last years honey crop
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 24-03-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Last edited by Jon; 24-03-2013 at 06:04 PM.