Thread: The Precautionary Principle

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default The Precautionary Principle

Heres hoping for a pesticide discussion with a difference- it remains civil

There is a lot of talk about calling for the government to invoke the precautionary principle on the use of neonicotinoids.
    I can fully appreciate the precautionary principle being utilised before a product is used and also in cases where for example, it was shown that the pesticide was a serious threat to the wild life- not just the honey bees and that by implementing it would have less of on impact than the chemical it's self.
    From what I've read so far, and I have to put my hands up and say that it's not a lot as the tone of the threads tend to become unpalatable, everyone agrees that the neonicotinoids aren't good for the insects but it is the extent of the harm they cause that is under question.

So, we've had these neonics around for a good few years and unlike the former pesticides, colonies are able to thrive whether or not there are other effects going on that aren't immediately obvious. It is logical to assume that there will be some impact on the other insects, but again they're still present and are they going to suffer serious consequences if the precautionary principle isn't invoked immediately?

Those calling for the ban tell us that the soil is becoming infertile and the effects of these neonics will last for years. So, if there is an outright ban, how on earth do we grow our crops on this land if that is the case and what will the pollinators forage on? Surely a carefully managed plan on reducing the use of chemicals in our food chain whilst increasing the hedgerows & biodiversity would be better for all involved?
    And the good old question than no one can escape from is what would replace the neonicotinoids?
    Last edited by EmsE; 14-02-2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Spelling