Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: New BIBBA website

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    As CJ would have said, I didn't get where I am today by humouring carnica.
    Brilliant LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    it is only from broad bases of consistently monitored stock that the best breeding material will be selected.
    I agree MBC but I think if we're talking about AMM then you'll be looking in vain for your "broad base" to come from the commercial sector. As far as I can see they please themselves and take no account of the rest of us. They might love bees but they love their bees.

Interested to hear what the "naive elitist ideas" are and who they originate from in your opinion.
    Last edited by drumgerry; 30-10-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    I agree MBC but I think if we're talking about AMM then you'll be looking in vain for your "broad base" to come from the commercial sector. As far as I can see they please themselves and take no account of the rest of us. They might love bees but they love their bees.

Interested to hear what the "naive elitist ideas" are and who they originate from in your opinion.
    Misprint that should say native elitist
    Drumgerry you have the right Idea
    When you bought that II kit I thought the "cria has gone loco"
    Turns out you were right it is the essential ingredient
    You can have seance without a Ouija board but it's better with
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Ouija-Boards-/102515/i.html
    here's a link for said board which might come in useful for contacting sources of pure AMM stock

Blog Entries

sources of pure AMM stock
    plenty over here.

When you bought that II kit I thought the "cria has gone loco"
    Turns out you were right it is the essential ingredient
    Very useful ingredient but I would say working with a local group is a more important factor.

plenty over here.

Very useful ingredient but I would say working with a local group is a more important factor.
    You could be posting your frozen drone sperm next year

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    I agree MBC but I think if we're talking about AMM then you'll be looking in vain for your "broad base" to come from the commercial sector.

Really ?

As far as I can see they please themselves and take no account of the rest of us. They might love bees but they love their bees.

In my experience, that would be unusual.

The clue that this was a general swipe at anyone who puts unnecessary hurdles in front of, or have unrealistic expectations of our farmers, was here ;"people should not try to hamstring our food producers" ,but if you want a specific example relative to this thread, then the idea that we shouldnt seasonally move our bees to better pastures is pretty much what I was getting at.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    You could be posting your frozen drone sperm next year
    Apparently it keeps pretty well at room temperature for a week or two.
    Gerry has probably read up more about it than I have but I did have someone send me a load of links and documents on II a couple of years ago.
    definitely something I will get into at some point. One step at a time.

10 years ago one of the beekeepers I know was bringing his bees down from the hills every year to the oil seed rape
    These were bees descended from his father's and before him his grandfather
    Nobody thought much about it but every hive he brought down that swarmed meant it went back hybridised
    Meanwhile every July hundreds of hives would appear up the glen stocked with nice but exotic bees
    Result was a lost opportunity to propagate those bees which were dark and lovely
    Now some would say that opportunity sailed by in his father or even grandfathers time but nobody could deny it was due to migratory beekeeping

I have always had hybrid bees myself and as I have said before I would sooner have some well bred selected bees brought to the rape than the general ill tempered hodge podge that could arrive . But that makes everything variable for me as well. My 20+ hives are a drop in a very large ocean of genetic soup

Clearly we have very different points of view when it comes to the bee farmers MBC. I don't see much sense in replying point by point. Let's not waste anyone's time for the next couple of pages eh?

And I'll leave the dark magic to you DR!

Apparently it keeps pretty well at room temperature for a week or two.
    Gerry has probably read up more about it than I have but I did have someone send me a load of links and documents on II a couple of years ago.
    definitely something I will get into at some point. One step at a time.
    Aye maybe I need to visit my family in Donegal and have a wee stop off in Belfast on the way back for some drone eversion practice!