Thread: New BIBBA website

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post

I don't see how that is consistent with commercial beekeepers moving bees round the country
    I suspect if there was less moving around of bees there would be less importation, hybridisation, disease risks etc
    Would it make good sense for commercial bees to be moved from Berwick on Tweed to Aberdeen on mass ie Chain Bridge
    Personally I dont see wishing to keep native bees as being in conflict with the idea of migratory beekeeping, either for pollination or chasing honey crops.
    I think as soon as we categorise Amm as a less productive bee only suitable for static beekeeping in marginal areas, then the game is lost.
    Britain is such a tight little island which imports over a third of all the food we eat, I think the onus is on people involved in food production to try and address this deficit. Thats not to say we should sacrifice quality in favour of quantity but that we should strive to be productive, and people should not try to hamstring our food producers with naive elitist ideas and actually appreciate and congratulate those who strive to do more.
    heather.jpg
    This picture shows bees efficiently trucked by articulated lorry from SW England up to Scottish heather and then distributed around by a fleet of unimoggs, awesome !( even better IMHO if they were native bees, but ho hum !)(picture originally posted on BKF by ITLD aka Murray Mcgregor )
    Last edited by mbc; 30-10-2013 at 01:07 PM.