Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the thinking behind the cubital index morphology ?

Blog Entries

I think my queens mated fine. They were laying decent pattern with no gaps and there was no sign of excess drone brood.
    I would blame my own losses on other factors rather than poor queen mating. It is an easy cop out to say poor mated queen, had no chance.
    varroa was not a big factor in my losses either. I blame sustained poor nutrition due to bad weather and early shutdown of brood rearing in the autumn. My colonies that I lost just ran out of bees. I saved a couple of queens from colonies which were down to apidea size and these are now roaring away and laying well having been caged and introduced to a couple of frames of bees and brood. That would suggest as well that poor mating was not the problem - just lack of bees. When you have poorly mated queens they try and supersede in August and September and that did not happen.

You might be right Jon
    The bad weather windows might have led to mating nearer the apiary though.
    The unusual thing I found was nearly all the colonies made it through but a couple became drone layers and another couple just didn't make any headway
    They are still around just small
    That's 5 out of 15 =1 dead(drone layer), 2 drone laying in Spring , 2 just no vigour
    They are all queen issues one way or another

Blog Entries

Drone Laying queens are extremely rare in my experience. I do get the odd one but mostly I just see it with queens which go stale after too long in the apidea and they start to lay drone after about 30 days.

Blog Entries

I suspect that you try harder to get the drone part of the equation right than we do.

Drone laying queens seem to crop up in some years 2005 was the last one for me don't know why.