Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Rose Hives

Thanks for the link.
    As I’m making some crown boards and clearer boards at the moment I might try a couple of queen excluders with drilled holes round the edge, just to see. I don’t know why Dave Cushman says that this type of queen excluder will not works if there is drone foundation in the supers? Surely, if the queen wants to lay in the supers she will pass through the board no matter what size cells are there to greet her.

It used to be fashionable to keep drone numbers at a minimum, they were trapped and destroyed, prevented from re-entering the hive with a piece of Qx and drone comb ruthlessly removed. This resulted in hives desperate for drones and a Q ready to do her utmost to get anywhere to lay drone eggs. In these more enlightened times of bee breeding and IPM it is usual to have perhaps two sheets of drone brood in the brood box and I would suspect that this would be sufficient to keep her majesty at home!
    Last edited by Dark Bee; 31-03-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    I think if we started being overly picky about not eating insect poo we'd starve, as almost everything gets pooed on or in, includung the water we use to wash things. Certainly anyone sensitive to eating honey from comb which has previously had brood in is excluding themselves to the vast majority of honey available.
    Slightly off topic but David Cramp writing in this month BeeCraft says the honeydew collected by bees from an insect living on one of their many poisonous plants can produce toxins in honey that can cause brain damage and kill
    New Zealand beekeeping scary stuff or what ?
    That's the kind of insect poo I don't want to eat

Default Re: Rose Hives

So that's what's in Manuka!!! Mind altering substances to make us think it is good for us

Tutuche'

Quote Originally Posted by brothermoo View Post
    So that's what's in Manuka!!! Mind altering substances to make us think it is good for us

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    I've never tasted it but its apparently horrible so it's fortunate for the producers they can slap it on open sores etc.
    It's not horrible.

It is REVOLTING.

In a recent edition ot the Irish beekeepers magazine there was an interesting item on manuka honey by Phillip McCabe - P.R.O. of FIBKA. He related how New Zealand beekeepers told of feeding this honey to pigs as there was no possibility of selling it! Then the marketing people had it's medicinal qualities identified and the rest is history!

Honey roast ham production went down afterwards I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Honey roast ham production went down afterwards I suppose

Aye it did, but sales of NZ lamb increased several fold immediately afterwards!