Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Rose Hives

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    .................................................. .................................................. ................................There was also a picture posted somewhere at around that time of cut old brood cells that had been used to store honey. You could see the dark wisps leaching out into the honey. The dark stuff would be the gunk that gets incorporated into the walls of old comb - all the stuff from dirty footprints and leaky bums inside the cell. It converted me to not using brood comb for honey production.

Some years ago having access to a microscope and always having had an "unease" about honey for human consumption that was stored in brood cells. I decided to have a look at some stored thus, suffice it to say that what I saw was even more revolting than what is described above. Brood combs are for brood and supers are for honey and between the two there should be a queen excluder.

I think if we started being overly picky about not eating insect poo we'd starve, as almost everything gets pooed on or in, includung the water we use to wash things. Certainly anyone sensitive to eating honey from comb which has previously had brood in is excluding themselves to the vast majority of honey available.

Default Re: Rose Hives

I'm just wondering if it is a pain in the arse to work without excluder that's all.

I believe it is for the individual to decide what methods he or she wishes to use and that what works for one person may be unsatisfactory for another or that which works in one area may give very different results elsewhere. However this current fashion for no excluders, Warre hives, Tbh's, Rose hives and suchlike is in my view a regressive step and not progressive.
    With all due respect to those who believe otherwise; examining under a microscope a well used brood cell now full of honey is not a very appetising experience

Default Rose Hives

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I'm not sure that they remove the cocoon, but they certainly give the cell a thorough clean out.Honey is antibacterian and antiinflammatary. It can be used on cuts whilst they heal. Can't imagine it being contaminated. And even if the bees didn't clean all the bits out of the cells, they are easily filtered out.I've never experienced it tasting *rubbish*. Quite the opposite, so I think WW was just unlucky.
    If the objection is psychological, how do people deal with the idea of earthworms in their minced steaks?Or...
    Or white worms in the flesh of codfish?
    WW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=wee willy;16903]Or white worms in the flesh of codfish?
    WW

WW, do you know if it is only cod caught close inshore that carry a worm burden and not those netted deep sea ? A Hull trawlerman once told me this was the case.

Default Rose Hives

No I didn't!
    I've fished the North Sea and the Irish Sea (perking) North Sea off shore Irish Sea inshore for codling but hadn't noticed.
    North Sea was summer fishing Irish Sea winter , to do with water temps and cod runs !
    WW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve always seen bees passing through a queen excluder as having a real struggle and thought if they could do without then things would be easier. I could try an entrance above the queen excluder, I suppose, to see if that would satisfy my concerns. Or what about a barrier. I believe some use a plastic sheet slightly smaller than box size. Workers pass around the sides but the queen doesn't bother?

I have seen someone leave a gap of approximately 1/2" at the front of a hive, he used a piece of ply and the frames were running warm way and it worked! I would be very reluctant to use something impervious such as plastic - there would be inevitable condensation /dampness, both upstairs and downstairs. Unless I am much mistaken ther is information on "solid" excluders in Dave Cushmans site.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Yes, I found it. It's here.
    Kitta