Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Ask me anything: Bees

Blog Entries

I have watched most of those German videos before.
    Those Carniolans they work with are highly selected and very docile.
    Although not all the handlers in the videos work without a veil.

I have seen the same veil free inspections during demonstrations at the Galtee apiary with native bees..

Would you be happy with members of the public standing watching at your shoulder while you did a hive inspection?

Absolutely not. We had an association meeting at my apiary last summer and one old gent turned up and was adamant he wouldn't suit up when everyone else didn't have a problem with it. The thought crossed my mind to insist but I let it go and in the event he was fine and didn't get stung. On another day and in different circumstances he might not have been so lucky. Something new beekeepers often fail to realise is that bee temperament is, or at least it can be, a sliding scale. Bees which are docile in April/May might not be under different conditions in August (or even the next week!). So in my opinion it pays not to be too casual and assume all will be well. I know I've been caught out a few times when I've been fully suited up and simply had to close the hive up. I dread to think what might have happened if I'd been veil-less.

Blog Entries

There was an old Polish chap who used to work his bees near where we lived. Don't think he had a veil and 'suited up' meant just that - he wore an old suit. Smoker was a baked bean (or similar) can stuffed with rags. I think a lot of the time he just spent time among his bees, not opening hives, perhaps just talking to them ...

Blog Entries

Even the quietest bees can have their off days, they may have been disturbed earlier in the day, always wear a veil when disturbing bee hives, it would just take one sting in the eye to potentially blind you

Hi Neil
    The question I would ask is where the devil are you ?
    Come to think of it where is everybody else as well ?

I really hope I don't wake up tomorrow to a zombie apocalypse
    I'm not keen on all the head bashing and shooting you need to survive

Blog Entries

I'm pleased to report that he's safe and well at home, tucked up for the winter with his favourite Land Rover. He comes out occasionally on another internet medium to rail at the choice of panel member on Question Time but as that isn't a suitable topic for here I'll pass over it.

Why don't we get given good advice like this on our side of the Pond?

I'm sure I've met a member or two of the living dead at various bee meetings in the past! Never occurred to me to lop their heads off with a Japanese sword but then again it might have been a mercy...

Thank goodness for Gavin and Drumgerry at first I thought it was just me going a little crazy

Blog Entries

You'll never be alone on here. There are *always* a few search engines and dodgy spam-bots from far away countries looking in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi Neil
    The question I would ask is where the devil are you ?
    Come to think of it where is everybody else as well ?

I really hope I don't wake up tomorrow to a zombie apocalypse
    I'm not keen on all the head bashing and shooting you need to survive
    Real life getting in the way of things. I moved out of Bristol to the depths of Somerset last year, lost most of my bees over winter and in between sorting out the house have been trying to build things back up again. I've now got two apiary sites and 4 reasonable colonies going into winter so should start to be more active on here again.