Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask me anything: Bees

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    The recent Beekeepers Quarterly has the usual mix of UK and overseas articles.
    Fatshark is it worth the subscription would you renew ?

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    As Far As I Know = AFAIK . Get with the kids DR!
    Sorry I'm a moron I though it came from Father Ted
    Good luck to GCHQ spying on and checking this forum
    Would you be held responsible if one of your Alpacas provided some unwelcome hair gel for a passer by ?
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 08-06-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Of the green variety?! They could try and hold me responsible but maybe they shouldn't have put themselves in the position to get coated in green slime. In reality it's fairly unlikely as the alpacas usually only spit at each other and I'm sure I could argue that it was the recipient's fault in court!

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Of the green variety?! They could try and hold me responsible but maybe they shouldn't have put themselves in the position to get coated in green slime. In reality it's fairly unlikely as the alpacas usually only spit at each other and I'm sure I could argue that it was the recipient's fault in court!
    That's my bee defence in a nutshell
    "What kind of idiot hangs around beehives without a veil"
    I think that stands up

Re the warning signs I thought something like "WARNING DANGER OF SWARMS "

Blog Entries

Twice in the last month I have looked up to see an adult and a small child from the nearby allotments leaning over the association apiary fence watching me while I do some hive manipulation.
    The bees are quiet but watching from 10 feet away without protection is stupid.
    When asked to move away, they start some bull about how bees are fascinating end endangered and they wanted the child to be able to see the beekeeper working with bees.

I actually had to point out that there is a reason why beekeepers use veils.
    Candidates for Darwin awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Twice in the last month I have looked up to see an adult and a small child from the nearby allotments leaning over the association apiary fence watching me while I do some hive manipulation.
    The bees are quiet but watching from 10 feet away without protection is stupid.
    When asked to move away, they start some bull about how bees are fascinating end endangered and they wanted the child to be able to see the beekeeper working with bees.
    I actually had to point out that there is a reason why beekeepers use veils.
    Candidates for Darwin awards.
    Scary stuff

I only have 1 neighbour and he's a fair distance away
    There is a person with access rights down my road but I don't care if he gets stung he's a moron

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Fatshark is it worth the subscription would you renew ?
    Frankly I'm not sure ... through the associations I think it's only £16 (don't quote me on that). I usually renew in the off-season when I'm at a weak point in terms of wanting anything bee related to do. However, having just read a few pages of the current issue - two pages of short snippets from scientists on the neonics ban (generally well balanced, for and against) followed by two pages from Graham White (which I feel is not balanced and not particularly well informed) - I'm thinking "why do I pay for this?". There are a lot of articles about beekeeping overseas. These are of little relevance to our practices, but interesting nevertheless. There's an interesting piece on Saudi Arabia, where the traditional hives are cylindrical and commentaries from the USA (Flottum), Southern and Eastern Europe.

If you can put up with articles with subheadings like "The betrayal of bees and beekeepers" (White on the BBKA) then it's worth a read ... and in November, £16 isn't too much to get a "fix".

Thanks Fatshark I think you are right
    In the winter I would read anything
    £16-00 is very reasonable these days
    If there's two pages of Graham White that should get the blood flowing
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 09-06-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    If there's two pages of Graham White that should get the blood flowing
    PM me your address. I'll rip 'em out, you're welcome to them!

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    PM me your address. I'll rip 'em out, you're welcome to them!
    Lol!!
    Very good offer but I'll pass on that one