Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask me anything: Bees

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    I would have to cough up a full subscription then again in January only 6 months later-- so might as well leave it till then.
    Cheapskate! Why not sell some of those nucs to funds your association joining activities? You could always try this organisation if you wish lower rates or even a publication freely available on the web:
    http://www.eastofscotlandbeekeepers....wsletter06.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Cheapskate! Why not sell some of those nucs to funds your association joining activities? You could always try this organisation if you wish lower rates or even a publication freely available on the web:
    http://www.eastofscotlandbeekeepers....wsletter06.pdf
    Thanks Gavin
    I'm no cheapskate actually come to think of it...
    Anyway most of the funds go on the magazine but the rest is for beano's and outings for you and your mates LOL
    Can't see much chance of nucs on the horizon at the moment
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 08-06-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Anyway most of the funds go on the magazine but the rest is for beano's and outings for you and your mates LOL
    Can't see much chance of nucs on the horizon at the moment
    OK, why can't I get <return> to work on this new laptop in IE?
    Then you'll miss having your finger on that pulse of beekeeping in Scotland that is the Scottish Beekeeper. This month you could have read a letter by Eric making what seemed like a personal attack on an English beekeeping scientist (why does the editor publish such things?), and a guy somewhere near Glasgow talk about his particular thoughts on why his rather idiosyncratic Varroa control and feeding strategy might have been the reason for him getting most of his colonies through the winter - this year at least. Plus some sensible stuff: the SG Lead inspector taking about what's happening (always worth reading anything Steve writes) and no doubt some other useful stuff as well. Plus of course Phil McA's comment discussed in another thread. As for beanos and outings .... my own claims have been zero in the last couple of years (maybe one day I'll get around to reclaiming the forum costs.).

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    OK, why can't I get <return> to work on this new laptop in IE?
    Then you'll miss having your finger on that pulse of beekeeping in Scotland that is the Scottish Beekeeper. This month you could have read a letter by Eric making what seemed like a personal attack on an English beekeeping scientist (why does the editor publish such things?), and a guy somewhere near Glasgow talk about his particular thoughts on why his rather idiosyncratic Varroa control and feeding strategy might have been the reason for him getting most of his colonies through the winter - this year at least. Plus some sensible stuff: the SG Lead inspector taking about what's happening (always worth reading anything Steve writes) and no doubt some other useful stuff as well. Plus of course Phil McA's comment discussed in another thread. As for beanos and outings .... my own claims have been zero in the last couple of years (maybe one day I'll get around to reclaiming the forum costs.).
    Your right I should get it just to see whats going on elsewhere
    sorry did I say beano's I meant conferences and AGMs etc

£30 would be about £5-00 an issue though
    "Ach I dinna ken sounds fell dear to me" (fraser dads army)

Blog Entries

AGMs are a necessary thing if you're a charity organisation (or any other, afaik). Don't forget your £30 also gives you access to the insurance and compensation scheme. If you have bees you ought to be insured: just think of the cost if a member of the public got stung and reacted badly. Your household insurance wouldn't cover it.

Blog Entries

Your right I should get it just to see whats going on elsewhere
    sorry did I say beano's I meant conferences and AGMs etc

£30 would be about £5-00 an issue though
    "Ach I dinna ken sounds fell dear to me" (fraser dads army)
    I think everyone pays their own way to conferences and AGMs - although many will recover travel costs to committee meetings which is only fair. £30/12 = £2.50 per issue. Twice as much of a bargain as you thought, and of course there is so much more to the SBA than a magazine.

DR I gave up on Beecraft as I thought it was getting a bit repetative and used my subscription to join IBRA. So far I have received two magazines which I think have been high quality. The latest edition had a guest editorial by Dan Basterfield on his views on the ban of neonicotinoids by the EU. An article by Norman Carrieck again on pesticides who Eric had a pop at in the SBA magazine.
    Its not all doom and gloom about pesticides. There was an interesting article about Manuka honey and explaining what all those factors mean and how it was marketed at about £30+ a jar. There was articles about beekeeping methods in Saudia Arabia,Uganda,India, and the Ukraine. An article about the Tayfield bee-house if Fife and the Steele & Brodie Wormit works in Scotland. There was also a scientific article about host-parasite interactions. To sum up something for everybody.

The recent Beekeepers Quarterly has the usual mix of UK and overseas articles. I tend to find the latter rather more interesting. They also have - in my view - a very unbalanced view of pesticides, and neonics in particular.

A page or so from Margaret Ginman Gen Sec BFA on winter losses this year ... claimed to be 50% 'across the country' (UK) with a further 50% of the survivors so weakened that they will only be fit for production colonies in 2014*. The £200,000 also gets a mention (or four). I know some have suffered badly, but I await local association reports of losses and expect these to be less.

Aren't there any Scottish bee researchers for Eric to take a pop at ... ?

* edit ... If her claimed 50,000 remaining UK production colonies in 2013 is correct I'm putting up the price of my honey with immediate effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    DR I gave up on Beecraft as I thought it was getting a bit repetative and used my subscription to join IBRA. So far I have received two magazines which I think have been high quality. The latest edition had a guest editorial by Dan Basterfield on his views on the ban of neonicotinoids by the EU. An article by Norman Carrieck again on pesticides who Eric had a pop at in the SBA magazine.
    Its not all doom and gloom about pesticides. There was an interesting article about Manuka honey and explaining what all those factors mean and how it was marketed at about £30+ a jar. There was articles about beekeeping methods in Saudia Arabia,Uganda,India, and the Ukraine. An article about the Tayfield bee-house if Fife and the Steele & Brodie Wormit works in Scotland. There was also a scientific article about host-parasite interactions. To sum up something for everybody.
    Jimbo that sounds good I'll check that out on the net

Guys I'm only kidding about the meetings AGM's beanos etc

Gavin for a scientist your maths needs some work
    If I join now its £30 for 6 months 30/6 =£5.00
    Renewal again in January eeK!

Trog I'm not sure what Afaik means maybe that's what they shout when my bees sting passers by
    Fortunately as they are wild creatures as opposed to our dog I can't be held responsible for their actions
    You can't train a bee
    Good sales pitch though

As Far As I Know = AFAIK . Get with the kids DR!