Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask me anything: Bees

Blog Entries

Default Ask me anything: Bees

thought this would be interesting.

I'm not putting myself up as "the" expert. got a question about bees? it might be a wikipedia answer that you should take with a pinch of salt, but... Ask me (us) anything...

Great idea Neils.....

A question was recently asked on another forum regarding where you can purchase the queen number plates/marking tags which come in different shapes rather than just the usual discs which are on sale now. A cursory look at European suppliers seems to suggest that they're no longer available...but don't let that stop you checking....please.

By the way, one thing that I've learnt is that there's a mass of intelligent information out there covering various aspects of insect marking (and associated behaviour) which I was previous unaware of.

Blog Entries

Fallen at the first hurdle! Discs are no problem and Thornes even do a magnetic one for catching her Majesty but I've drawn a blank and finding other shapes other than discs and to be honest don't recall ever having seen any other shapes. Maybe I should have put this one in the public area in the hope of getting some easier questions

Sorry! Was a bit unfair, that question, having already done quite a good search myself. There are photos in the older literature (Ruttners 'Queen Rearing' might be one source although I don't have mine to hand at present) of the different shaped tags. Perhaps they were specifically in-house items used by the German researchers. Where's Hors gone?

I hope you get some more questions as I reckon that this could be a good long running thread.

Double Post.

Where/who is the cheapest for 20 x 12.5/14kg tubs of ambrosia or Apisuc. Delivered cumbria or collected HA?

Blog Entries

As a reference, this is what we pay locally.

£11.85 for 14k invert sugar syrup. 12.5k in five 2.5k bags fondant, £12.70 collect prices.
    Must be cheaper still in bulk.

Thanks. I will follow this up when we return home.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Also look at Jon's thread of last year called 'Invert Sugar'
    Kitta

Oh, sorry - I just noticed that you've seen it, because you've contributed to that thread.
    Last edited by Mellifera Crofter; 07-02-2013 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Added a sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Neils View Post
    I'm not putting myself up as "the" expert. got a question about bees?...

but... Ask me (us) anything...
    How effective is the annual renewal of a third of a colony's brood combs with regards to maintaining/improving colony health?

My thoughts are that it's akin to washing one (alternate) hand each day.... but I welcome scientific evidence to the contrary.