Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask me anything: Bees

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Ask me anything: Bees

thought this would be interesting.

I'm not putting myself up as "the" expert. got a question about bees? it might be a wikipedia answer that you should take with a pinch of salt, but... Ask me (us) anything...

Great idea Neils.....

A question was recently asked on another forum regarding where you can purchase the queen number plates/marking tags which come in different shapes rather than just the usual discs which are on sale now. A cursory look at European suppliers seems to suggest that they're no longer available...but don't let that stop you checking....please.

By the way, one thing that I've learnt is that there's a mass of intelligent information out there covering various aspects of insect marking (and associated behaviour) which I was previous unaware of.

Blog Entries

Fallen at the first hurdle! Discs are no problem and Thornes even do a magnetic one for catching her Majesty but I've drawn a blank and finding other shapes other than discs and to be honest don't recall ever having seen any other shapes. Maybe I should have put this one in the public area in the hope of getting some easier questions

Sorry! Was a bit unfair, that question, having already done quite a good search myself. There are photos in the older literature (Ruttners 'Queen Rearing' might be one source although I don't have mine to hand at present) of the different shaped tags. Perhaps they were specifically in-house items used by the German researchers. Where's Hors gone?

I hope you get some more questions as I reckon that this could be a good long running thread.

Double Post.

Where/who is the cheapest for 20 x 12.5/14kg tubs of ambrosia or Apisuc. Delivered cumbria or collected HA?

Blog Entries

As a reference, this is what we pay locally.

£11.85 for 14k invert sugar syrup. 12.5k in five 2.5k bags fondant, £12.70 collect prices.
    Must be cheaper still in bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Neils View Post
    I'm not putting myself up as "the" expert. got a question about bees?...

but... Ask me (us) anything...
    How effective is the annual renewal of a third of a colony's brood combs with regards to maintaining/improving colony health?

My thoughts are that it's akin to washing one (alternate) hand each day.... but I welcome scientific evidence to the contrary.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    How effective is the annual renewal of a third of a colony's brood combs with regards to maintaining/improving colony health?

My thoughts are that it's akin to washing one (alternate) hand each day.... but I welcome scientific evidence to the contrary.
    I am not sure about that one either and I don't habitually replace comb.
    I do fumigate boxes of spare comb over winter with 80% acetic acid along with apideas and other equipment but the comb is always going to be the biggest disease risk.
    last couple of years I have been removing some comb and letting the bees draw some fresh stuff of their own on frames reinforced by fishing line.

In the US, the commercial beekeepers irradiate old comb to kill pathogens.

Here is a fera document on comb replacement

Blog Entries

Fizzing to reply to this, but had a shandy watching question time.