Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Draw-wing help please

Default Draw-wing help please

Wingscan.jpgHi all

I'm trying to work out how to use Draw-wing and there's a paucity of resources on the web it would seem. I'm a complete novice and have had this sample sitting in the freezer since last summer. I've attached a jpg version of the scan I took at 2400dpi - I have a gigantic bmp file of the same but the version you see here has been darkened a bit to give a greater contrast between light and dark.

When I try to get Draw-wing to attach its points to the wings ("Apis Junctions") it's only picking up one wing from the image instead of the 20 I have scanned. I'm trying to get it right with this scan before I scan enough for a proper sample. I have Morphplot sitting waiting for when I do.

Any suggestions?

Blog Entries

Put a tick in the 'step by step' box
    Go to 'file' 'open' and open your scan
    Select 'wing' and 'apis junctions dir...'

It should all follow on from there.
    You might have to move some points as it misses the odd one.

Did you scan by transmitted light, i.e. in filmstrip mode. Your image looks like it was scanned by reflective light.

Please read and follow the instructions in MorphPlot precisely.
    Peter Edwards

Blog Entries

scanner settings.jpg

That's my setting for the V330 if the scan is the issue

Errr...I don't know Peter. I have a Canon Pixma MP620 and I don't think I have that option. I looked again at the Morphplot instructions and tried again. Used the step by step mode and suddenly realised that if I clicked "next step" another wing image was picked up. Doh! So in the end Draw-wing picked up 17 of the 20 wings on my scan.

For all the good it did me. It's not looking so good as you'll see from the scattergram on the 2D plot thread. It looks like they're pretty hybridised - which is a shame as I grafted from that queen last summer. Still you have to start somewhere.

Oh one other thing. Although Draw-wing was picking the individual wing images it wasn't placing the points on them. I had to manually do that for all 17 images which took bleedin ages!

Sounds like a scanning issue. If you are scanning by transmitted light then DrawWing will not work.

You will get quicker at placing/correcting points manually. Again,follow my suggestions in MorphPlot.
    Peter Edwards

Hi friends of morphometry,
    I have here a comparison of two measurement systems.
    Wings 1: mother copulated in Virelles / Belgium
    Wings 2: daughter (F1) copulated in Hamm / Germany.
    Strangely, the high share of mellifera Rigional pairing.
    Regards, Horst

N1211img001_Bee.jpg

1211F1H005_Bee.jpg
    PS. work with transparency scanner at 3200 dpi. It is a very good workmanship of the wings in the slide frame, behind glass.
    Last edited by Hors; 26-01-2013 at 10:53 AM.

This is the sort of quality I'm getting with my scanner (image of this wing extracted by Draw-wing). Is this ok?

Wingscan_0L.dw.jpg

Hi Drumgerry
    you probably have this sorted now but just in case
    There are loads of reflections on the wing sample scan --that isn't good
    Secondly the scanner you are/were using is a CIS type not CCD
    CIS scanners typically have a very shallow depth of field which is ok for documents but not for objects
    And as already mentioned a transparency scanning mode is likely to be needed
    I don't do wing scanning so the last point might be overkill
    Here's the Canon spec http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Prod...x.aspx?specs=1