Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spey Beekeepers Association first meeting - 30th January

Default Spey Beekeepers Association first meeting - 30th January

Well after much to-ing and fro-ing we're hopefully going to launch our modest new association on 30th January. Fingers crossed we get a decent turnout and that the weather plays ball.

Many thanks to Gavin for the links to sample constitutions and to everyone who's given me encouragement to get it up and running.

I have a Facebook event with details here

http://www.facebook.com/events/47372...65771357582007

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Great to hear its all going ahead. will try hard to be there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hope to see you there Bridget and if the weather's dodgy I'll make sure to give you as much notice as possible of cancellation.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Lets hope we will get some good daylight meetings later on in the year. Apart from my one day beginners course I've never seen inside any other hives but my own and I still don't understands how or why warm way/cold way works though I'm pretty sure mine are warm way! It will be interesting💡

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

It is always interesting (and almost always useful) to see the way other people do their beekeeping. I usually learn something. Even hosting groups of beginners at the association apiary brings surprises and useful ideas about doing things differently and better. That how I learned to stuff the bottom hole of the smoker with grass too, and several other things.

Well done Gerry and I hope that it takes off.

Do you know Gavin I never once thought of doing that with the bottom hole of the smoker! Great idea!

And hopefully we'll be able to enlist a few people willing to host some meetings at their apiaries in the summer. I will be volunteering so for good or ill you'll get to see how I do things Bridget.

Encouraging signs so far with a few people committing to coming along. Amusingly Jon looked at our event page on Facebook and now it's saying he's coming along! Quite the commute from Northern Ireland eh Jon?!

Blog Entries

Bloody Facebook!. I thought I was just subscribing to the page updates.

I would get altitude sick if I ventured that far north.

Of course don't let me dissuade you Jon if you're determined to come!

There is a lot further north than there Jon... try Hammerfest. LOL

Good luck with your assoc, and if I can offer one idea it is to put in the constitution, and yep you need one, not to allow any committee member more than two consecutive years on the panel. The Aberdeen Assoc suffered for some 20 years from a chair and sec who were utterly hidebound.

PH

Thanks PH - I have drafted a possible constitution and in there is a time limit on terms of office. One thing I would say is that from my experience it's sometimes difficult getting people to volunteer for committee positions so I'd not be keen to stop people standing for re-election. But it's a point well made.
    Last edited by drumgerry; 09-01-2013 at 01:09 AM.