Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Experience Russian beekeeper Vladimir Khomich.

Hi Kitta.

The story really starts with Abbot Warre who, after field-testing as many hives as he could, decided that an internal footprint of 300mm x 300mm had something 'special' about it - that the bees really thrived well within this compact space. And he wasn't the first to discover this. So - the standard Warre and all variants of it: Russian 'Alpine', Delon etc - all have the same internal footprint.

When Warre concluded his experiments, he settled on a box depth of something like 400-440mm (I'm going by memory, now), but his assistants complained that such boxes were far too heavy, and so he simply cut them in half, giving a box depth of around 210-220mm. I guess these could be called 'half-height' boxes, with 2 being required to form a brood chamber suitable for overwintering.

Warre also experimented with the use of frames, but eventually settled on the use of top-bars only, with the combs invariably becoming firmly adhered to the box sides, thus requiring an 'L'-shaped bladed knife to cut them free when harvesting honey. This was to be his final design adjustment, and is still the way that purists keep these hives today - which were always intended to be 'back-garden' hives for the rural French.

Ok - this is where Roger Delon comes into the picture. Delon was a commercial beekeeper who kept some 300 of these hives on the slopes of the Alps. Rather than staying with Warre's top bar system, he devised a method of using wire frames within the same 210-220mm boxes. He found that the wires are for-all-intents-and-purposes 'transparent' to the bees, and didn't present the same kind of 'restrictions' imposed by wooden frames, with their mandatory beespaces.
    He also simplified the top of the hive, so that rather than having a breathable quilt above the boxes, he used a sealed and insulated crown board, which seems to have been very appropriate for those Alpine conditions.

Next on the scene are some enterprising Russians, who read about Delon's successes with his form of modified Warre hive and, with typical Russian ingenuity, decided to halve the height of the boxes once again (so now they are 1/4 the height of Warre's original plans) at around 108-110mm. The internal footprint still remains the same at 300mm square. Delon used his hives in The Alps, so the Russians called their's 'Alpine Hives'.
    Apart from this box and frame height change, in all other respects the hive is pretty-much as Delon used - but what the Russians are doing very differently however, is running their hives as if they were Nationals - with Q/X's, honey supers, embossed foundation, and all the rest.

So what has happened is effectively a transition from Warre's original concept of a back-garden 'People's Hive' - cheap to make and only requiring 2 inspections a year - through Roger Delon's wire frame modifications allowing the hive's use for commercial yet eco-sensitive purposes - through to a totally commercial operation (albeit one run on a shoe-string by impoverished Russians), by the use of shallower boxes: 4 to make a brood chamber, with 1 for a super - but all staying with Warre's original 300mm internal footprint.

Hope this clarifies the muddy waters at least a little ...

LJ

Blog Entries

A picture would help!

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_John View Post
    ... I transferred them - on the 210mm frames of the bait box - into the Alpine Hive ...
    ... Hope this clarifies the muddy waters at least a little ... LJ
    It does, thank you! So, in this particular hive of yours that houses the swarm you have a Delon brood box and nadired with the 1/4-sized Alpines?
    Kitta

Warre also experimented with the use of frames, but eventually settled on the use of top-bars only, with the combs invariably becoming firmly adhered to the box sides, thus requiring an 'L'-shaped bladed knife to cut them free when harvesting honey. This was to be his final design adjustment, and is still the way that purists keep these hives today - which were always intended to be 'back-garden' hives for the rural French.
    For working from the top? I've seen a video showing such an operation -didn't like the look of it so approached things from the other end, so to speak:

SAM_4040.jpg SAM_4042.jpg

not a great photo but should have more, clearer ones by the end of the month. approx. 9" deep comb in this one.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Sorry LJ - this is the second time you've explained it to me! I only now really understand the progress from the original Warré to the present Warré/Delon hive to the quarter Alpine. I couldn't have read it too well the first time round. Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    It does, thank you! So, in this particular hive of yours that houses the swarm you have a Delon brood box and nadired with the 1/4-sized Alpines?
    Kitta
    That's almost right - the 'brood box' is currently being formed by 2 x 1/4-sized Alpine boxes nailed together. These hold the 210mm Delon wire frames (which of course were the frames fitted to the swarm box - 'cause the swarm box just happened to be that size - no other reason).
    In the graphic below, the hive is at the left of the picture, with the brood box marked by a red vertical line. Beneath this 'brood box' is an eke and a modified base - marked by a vertical magenta line, which together hold the nadired 1/4-height Alpine frames. This is a bodge to save making another base (which I over-engineered, and the bees hated), just as nailing the two boxes together is a bodge for now - as soon as possible, I'll pull the deeper frames and stick with all 1/4-height boxes.

It might help if I clarify that the 'Delon frame', although originally 210mm deep, and for a 300mm box, has now become a term used for this method of construction - of any height and width. So - it would be possible, for example, to make 'Delon frames' to fit Nationals, Langstroths etc.

Sorry LJ - this is the second time you've explained it to me! I only now really understand the progress from the original Warré to the present Warré/Delon hive to the quarter Alpine. I couldn't have read it too well the first time round. Kitta
    No worries - I'm well impressed that someone else finds this stuff of interest ...

LJ

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    For working from the top? I've seen a video showing such an operation -didn't like the look of it so approached things from the other end, so to speak:
    [...]
    not a great photo but should have more, clearer ones by the end of the month. approx. 9" deep comb in this one.
    That's a nice comb.

So c'mon - spill the beans - how's it done ? Just by sliding a knife in from below ?

LJ

So c'mon - spill the beans - how's it done ? Just by sliding a knife in from below ?

LJ
    Yes! Still early days but been working fine so far. Up-end the box so that the top-bars are in vertical alignment and 'go'.
    Last edited by prakel; 19-07-2014 at 09:24 PM.