Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Experience Russian beekeeper Vladimir Khomich.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean my question to sound like a test.
    No, no .. It was the humor .. Russian humor now ..

Perhaps somebody can help Fidan with his exam(!), and give Bumble a reply
    It seems time for the exam ..
    in Russian - "sinyak." Echium vulgare. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echium_vulgare

Quote Originally Posted by fidan View Post
    It seems time for the exam ..
    in Russian - "sinyak." Echium vulgare. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echium_vulgare
    Prolific on Portland too. Great plant. Stood up to the attrocious weather amazingly well right the way through last summer.

My own strain of bee is more than capable of filling a 11 comb dadant hive but they're quicker at laying out an equivalent amount of comb spread over a smaller base area. At least, this is what I've observed so far.

Hi prakel,

For the answer I need a picture. I'll draw and answer. Thanks for the idea.
    Last edited by fidan; 11-01-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi Fidan,
    where in Russia are you from?

Oh wow, thank you very much

Now I can look for some seeds, and try to grow them in my garden.

Vladimir Khomich my friend. I'm looking for on the Internet beekeepers who use such beehive. On your forum is not found. My question - Does anyone uses the hives?
    Hello Fidan - not yet - but very soon, I hope.

I'm currently building one to test, using 35mm thick wood (because I have a cheap supply of wood of that thickness). If it's successful, I'll be transferring all my colonies over to the Russian Alpine system, keeping just a few Nationals in order to raise NUCs for sale.

I'd like to clarify a few details with you - either on or off-forum. I emailed Vladimir Khomich (in English) some time ago with an enquiry, but no reply. I guess a language barrier ?

Regards

LJ

Vipers Bugloss is a bit fussy about soil so no good in some areas

great video i could understand it no problem.Just by watching. was amazing seeing the bees so busy when all the snow was arround are the bees apis melifera melifera .they seem very dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_John View Post
    Hello Fidan - not yet - but very soon, I hope.

I'm currently building one to test ...
    Well - it's over a year later, and I've been far too busy this current year with my Nationals to have done anything with the Russian 'Alpine' Hive - but on the 4th July (an easy date to remember), by 'instalments' a swarm of Heinz bees ('57 Varieties') moved into a Warre-sized bait box I'd left out - and proceeded to set up home there. After 10 days I transferred them - on the 210mm frames of the bait box - into the Alpine Hive, where they've been flourishing.
    I inspected them yesterday, and in just 14 days they've drawn-out seven of those double-sized Delon frames, and now have Brood In All Stages, so I've already nadired a further set of the shallower Russian-sized 108mm frames in a box below. Using the larger frames from the bait box has just meant nailing two of the 'Russian'-sized boxes together for now - hardly a major issue.

What has surprised me is - during the transfer, and during yesterday's inspection - is just how well-behaved these bees are, for I haven't spotted a single bad behavioural trait. Let's hope that this continues as the colony grows in size ...

Whether this calm and gentle behaviour is due solely to their genetics, their current small size, or whether it has something to do with the dimensions and set-up of the hive, only time will tell.

LJ
    Last edited by Little_John; 19-07-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Interesting, LJ. I'm confused between Delon and Alpine hives. Do they have the same inside footprint, but the Delons being deeper than the Alpines, or are they all the same?
    Kitta