Thread: Experience Russian beekeeper Vladimir Khomich.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hello all forum users.

Hi Fidan, how do you find that these little hives compare to your dadants over the course of the year? Myself, I've started to work my dadants differently to how I've previously used them; I now reduce the number of frames in the brood chamber and add a shallow box above as I see a far faster build up if the bees are allowed to move up rather than being forced to work out towards the side walls.

The size of the hive 300x300 mm cut is more natural for the bees. There is an opinion. But it is questionable. I can say that this keeps the hive easier temperature. This is especially noticeable in the spring.
    Vladimir says that bees can successfully contain any type of hive. But this it is more convenient. I think so too.

I noticed, I think, that these hives don't have crown boards (a board between the colony and the roof).
    Yes it is.

Do you, by any chance, know what the blue flowers are at about 15 mins?
    Wow .. I'm like a schoolboy in the exam ..
    Let me know the name. Then I will answer and you will take the exam ...

do you do anything in particular to insulate hives?
    Someone leaves a hive in their places. Someone takes them omshanik. Pleasant Russian word "omshanik." This is the construction of hives. More often underground. Sometimes half underground. Sometimes the ground. Omshanik gives stability. In November, set the hive in omshanik. In early April, set the hive in its place.

what's a typical russian treatment plan? Do you se thymol, Formic acid, oxalic acid, something else?
    Yes. The same methods. There are proponents of environmental practices. Adding herbs to the smoker. But I have no such experience. I think that without chemicals is now impossible. BUT we reduce immunity bees. Once for it will have to pay something.

Quote Originally Posted by fidan View Post
    I can say that this keeps the hive easier temperature. This is especially noticeable in the spring.
    Vladimir says that bees can successfully contain any type of hive. But this it is more convenient. I think so too.
    I imagine that you're refering to colony build up during the Spring which is basically what I've found by engineering a 'chimney' effect - given the opportunity bees like to go up and down. My own strain of bee is more than capable of filling a 11 comb dadant hive but they're quicker at laying out an equivalent amount of comb spread over a smaller base area. At least, this is what I've observed so far.

I may still take the plunge (not this year) of changing over to a one size box and allowing the brood nest to take a more vertical format.

My own strain of bee is more than capable of filling a 11 comb dadant hive but they're quicker at laying out an equivalent amount of comb spread over a smaller base area. At least, this is what I've observed so far.

Hi prakel,

For the answer I need a picture. I'll draw and answer. Thanks for the idea.
    Last edited by fidan; 11-01-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi Fidan,
    where in Russia are you from?

Do you, by any chance, know what the blue flowers are at about 15 mins?
    Wow .. I'm like a schoolboy in the exam ..
    Let me know the name. Then I will answer and you will take the exam ...
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean my question to sound like a test.

We saw a lot of these flowers during the summer, when we were in north east Europe. They were busy with bees. I have been trying to find out what they are.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    ... We saw a lot of these flowers during the summer, when we were in north east Europe. They were busy with bees. I have been trying to find out what they are.
    Perhaps somebody can help Fidan with his exam(!), and give Bumble a reply. Here's the flower:

blue flowers - Fidan 15-19_cr.jpg

Kitta

I'm sorry, I didn't mean my question to sound like a test.
    No, no .. It was the humor .. Russian humor now ..

Perhaps somebody can help Fidan with his exam(!), and give Bumble a reply
    It seems time for the exam ..
    in Russian - "sinyak." Echium vulgare. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echium_vulgare

It seems time for the exam ..
    in Russian - "sinyak." Echium vulgare. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echium_vulgare
    Prolific on Portland too. Great plant. Stood up to the attrocious weather amazingly well right the way through last summer.

Oh wow, thank you very much

Now I can look for some seeds, and try to grow them in my garden.