Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big losses reported in NZ bees - implications for imports.

Blog Entries

Invoking the spirit of Uncle Eric, it is one of the few situations where inbreeding/loss of sex alleles could actually become a problem as the population is completely closed.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Can't think why he'd want to go to Denmark. Yes, the Irish solution - or more Amm from the Scottish mainland seems better.
    Cannot really say for sure Gavin, he did mention Ireland, and from what i gather was not over keen on that idea, Scottish mainland was not mentioned. They do have three island mating stations in Denmark for AMM, perhaps he was more impressed by them or the ones from Tasmania than anything else he had found.

If people must import, has any body tried to trade in drone semen? I believe semen is viable for up to two weeks at room temp. It could also be used for varroa free areas.

Default Big losses reported in NZ bees - implications for imports.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete L View Post
    I agree that the imports need to be tightened up, not stopped altogether, my idea would be to only allow registered Queen breeders (this would need to be set up) to import up to say ten queens per season and no more, these could be properly checked out, and would be only the very expensive ones in general, not the mass imports as is the case now. I would like this to be imports from within Europe only, and no imports of packages, nucs, full hives, at all, from anywhere.
    ?
    Im pretty sure that UK legislation states that any workers imported with queens are removed and sent to NBU for testing. So no packages, nucs or full hives are allowed in anyway.

See below
    17.These controls are aimed at reducing the risk of the introduction and spread of exotic bee pests, in particular the small hive beetle and tropilaelaps mites (which are notifiable). When you receive a consignment of imported queen honey bees you must:
    (i) Transfer the queens to new (queen) cages before they are introduced to any local colonies.
    (ii) Send the (queen) cages, attendant worker bees and other material that accompanied the queen bees from their country of origin to the NBU within 5 days of receipt for examination for the presence of the small hive beetle and tropilaelaps mites.
    18. Bee packages from New Zealand are subject to a % check (depending on the quantity imported) at the destination apiary.
    19. You must destroy container in which any colony of imported bumble bees was transported and all material that accompanied the bees either during or immediately at the end of the lifespan of the imported colony.

Blog Entries

That article above from 2008 is a wee bit out of date as imports from Hawaii are now banned and we also have pyrethroid resistant mites in Northern Ireland although the other points it makes are as valid as ever.

UBKA expresses its total condemnation of the attempted illegal importation of ten queen bees from Georgia, USA, earlier this year. It compliments the United Kingdom Customs Authority on its diligence in intercepting the package of bees.
    This happened about 5 or 6 years ago and was a precursor to the recommendations above. There was no prosecution as the beekeeper concerned claimed that the queens were posted to him without his knowledge.

Imagine that. 10 queens arriving from the country where CCD has decimated the bee population and where noone has yet clearly determined its causes other than noting that it is likely to be multifactorial. Thanks have to go to the customs guys involved with biosecurity.

http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie/articles/importniart.html
    Last edited by Jon; 12-01-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Slightly off topic but I think relevant in a way; I posted a link on the Beekeeping and Environment forum on the 07/01 regarding the new rules covering the licensing of commercial bumblebee production/import. The quote below (my highlight) is taken from that link.

■Producers of commercial non-native bumblebees for the horticulture trade will be required to follow an improved disease screening protocol. This will be to a higher specification than that required by the EU for routine honeybee imports - which only requires inspection of bees for a number of notifiable bee diseases and parasites. The revised screening protocol will require more sensitive laboratory analysis to detect a greater range of bee diseases and pathogens. Bumble bees found to be infected by disease or parasites will not be permitted for release in the UK.
    Last edited by prakel; 12-01-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy beesy View Post
    Im pretty sure that UK legislation states that any workers imported with queens are removed and sent to NBU for testing. So no packages, nucs or full hives are allowed in anyway.
    Plenty of package bees get imported into this country, too many.

How? Illegally? Why not shop the guilty?