Thread: Cleaning queen rearing kit

Default Cleaning queen rearing kit

I’ve been sorting through my beekeeping equipment ready for next year. I graft into Jenter cups and my mini nucs are Apidia. How do people on this forum clean their Jenter (or other make of) cups for next year? Do you clean them between each batch during the season? Is cleaning unnecessary? How do you treat your Apideas at the end of the season? Can I immerse them in hot water and washing soda? Do you always replace the comb with foundation for the new season ahead.
    Sorry for the many questions, you can imagine all the head scratching that’s been going on today!

Blog Entries

I clean the cell cup holders once a year by putting them in a bowl and pouring boiling water over them.
    You don't have to get them spotless.
    During the season i just reuse them.
    It is actually better for these to have a bit of wax and a bee smell which is why the graft frame usually goes in a day before the grafts are added so that the cups and cup holders smell right.
    You can reuse the cell cup inserts by soaking them in hot water and scraping out cocoon debris with a Q tip but it is a pita to clean then and it only costs about £4 for 100 anyway.

I gently scrape most of the propolis from my apideas and fumigate them for a week with 80% acetic acid, likewise the frames.
    warm water would do no harm but near boiling would melt them.
    haven't tried washing soda.
    Stack them up in a plastic bin and put the acetic acid at the top as the fumes are heavier than air.
    Make sure it is well sealed and in the shed rather than the house.
    The frames can get difficult to remove from the apideas by the end of the season as more and more propolis builds up.
    I reuse some frames but bear in mind that it is hard to fill apideas with bees if the frames are already drawn out.

This is how I clean the frames with acetic acid - yet another use for a correx box!:

cleaning apidea frames.jpg

That’s good information Jon, thank you. I have to say that your extensive use of correx in the apiary makes me yearn for a general election………almost!

I clean my apidea's in the dishwasher at a quick wash and low temp setting. I only do this when SHMBO is away visiting her mother. That is the most important step in the process!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I only do this when SHMBO is away visiting her mother.
    I bet you do!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You can reuse the cell cup inserts by soaking them in hot water and scraping out cocoon debris with a Q tip but it is a pita to clean then and it only costs about £4 for 100 anyway.
    Has anyone here tried the Chinese brand green cups being sold on ebay -they're approx £10 for a thousand including postage? Probably going to place an order myself on the assumption that a country which appears to be 'big' on Royal Jelly production probably make these cups to a more than passable standard. Not sure if they'd fit the Jenter/Cup-kit cell holders properly though....but that's not a specific issue for myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I clean my apideas in the dishwasher at a quick wash and low temp setting. I only do this when SHMBO is away visiting her mother. That is the most important step in the process!
    Great minds think alike Jimbo. I chose my moments carefully as well with regard to bee stuff in the dishwasher.