Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Any casualties yet?

Smile

We've had temperatures consistently below zero for a week now and over a foot of snow ... some of my mini-nucs were feeling disconcertingly light so I sneaked a very quick look this afternoon. All OK. Stores seem fine and despite the temperature - exactly zero - there were bees feeding on fondant in the homebuilt Kieler frame feeders. On the very coldest nights I've moved a pile of these (very gently) into a just-frost-free greenhouse (alongside the overwintering agaves). I then move them back outside at 7am for the day.

The weather looks set to break at the weekend but it will be some time until we're in the clear and I know the Q's haven't turned out to be drone layers. For some reason I think this trait only becomes evident when the Q starts ramping up egg laying in the Spring, rather than during the sporadic laying overwinter. Is this right?

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Default Any casualties yet?

No! None. Eleven hives went into winter and eleven are still there (for now). I arrived back in Scotland on Friday and went straight to my hives to check on the food situation, and thought I've lost a hive. No sign of life, cold crownboard ... It was a cold day, so I didn't open it to check just in case there might be life - and today I saw there is. They're alive and coming and going and collecting pollen from heaven knows where like all the other hives.
    Kitta

Blog Entries

That's excellent news Kitta. I think that when it gets very cold, the bees can go into a sort of comatose state. Best left completely alone. I haven't checked mine since October, but that's because of too much snow for me to wade through. I don't think I'll discover the damage (or hopefully otherwise) until about the end of March if this weather continues.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Default Any casualties yet?

Gosh I couldn't bear not have a regular visual check just to check they haven't been knocked or blown over. Lovely day again here and all three hives flying strongly. Snowdrops getting hammered and had to move my seat in the sun as the bees were all over the hellebores in a tub I bought at a garage sale in October, and buzzing too close for comfort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One gone so far. A swarm that re-queened itself and did not build up very well. Should have united. I'm wanting more colonies so its tempting to hang on to these smaller ones. Perhaps the queen was badly mated. Plenty of food left close by the cluster.

Blog Entries

Going to attempt a quick peek this weekend. Probably too cold for them to be flying but a few bags of fondant were well chewed last time around. I still think that two are probably not going to make it, but we'll see.

I wanted to hive the Nuc about now, but it's still far too cold for that, a peek at how the fondant is lasting will have tO do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I don't think I'll discover the damage (or hopefully otherwise) until about the end of March if this weather continues.
    A week ago, night lows were around minus 18°c.That's now the second day the shade highs have reached 15°,and much of the snow has gone from the south facing slopes. Today I managed to get to one of the apiaries. 2 dead out of 8. And those two went into winter very weak so I wasn't expecting them to survive.The 6 live colonies were working very hard bringing in 2 types of pollen, one orange and one bright, pale yellow. I haven't fed this winter,so am pleased with the apparent vigour of the survivors. I'll wait a while longer before doing a proper spring visit,and checking the other apiary.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Sorry about those two colonies, Chris - but pleased about the vigorous survivors. Are the hives often covered with snow in the winter, or is it more your access that is hindered?

Blog Entries

I really don't mind those losses-I expected much worse.
    Both hives and access, though the access stays difficult long after the hives are free of snow. If I can find them, I'll try and post some photos of a few years back.

Blog Entries

Finally, from 26 hives 27 made it, one varroa casualty. (an attempt to overwinter in an apidea straved, which I am really sad about)
    This evening the first ten are being picked up, the other 10 this weekend.
    Wondering if 6 is too many going into the new season...
    Last edited by Calum; 07-03-2013 at 04:22 AM.