Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any casualties yet?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

One of mine is very light, but they've still got plenty of fondant above the crownboard. They were eating it the other day when I checked, I'm hoping it isn't the wrong place if it turns horribly cold.

Blog Entries

Best is a frame from a colony that has been more thrifty (usually a stronger colony). Brothermoo it's a pity to loose a colony through something the aparist could have prevented. I'll try to have a couple of 'emercancy' filled frames in the autumn extra. If I don't use them there is always a use for them when making up new colonies

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Went to check the fondant today - the two polys look fine - just a quick glance under the fondant to see if any movment. But the National, my biggest colony with 9 seams in January, all dead. I've put up a picture below and would a) be grateful for any thoughts, comments and procedures to follow b) any advice how to check though the hive to see if I can see any reason for this and c) can I save the drawn comb d) how to deal with the hive to get rid of any nasties. I shall be able to give the hive a good going over at the weekend but no time today.
    This colony was treated with Apistan in late September when the heather was over and with OA in Jan. Had very little varroa mite drop from this hive. Fed syrup throughout the autumn and fondant after the OA. Last seen flying 0n 27 Feb and had a quick peek on the 10th March and there was movement then. They were well insulated above the board and also had polystyrene boards around the outside of the hive, which I did last year as well. They just look like the folk of Pompeii - just dropped in their tracks.
    This hive has evidence of mice droppings on the inspection board and some odd legs and wings on the board as well.
    DEAD BEES.jpg

Blog Entries

Can't see if there are any stores from the picture.
    Seems like a reasonable amount of bees.
    Did you remove any frames to check for stores?

Very sad to have that happen, it could be that they ran out of stores. In which case there may be a slight chance they are not all dead and a spray with warm water to which sugar has been added might, just might save them.
    It is worth remembering that more colonies starve at this time of year than at any other. If bees are flying and out of stores, filling a frame of empty comb with syrup can be a life saver.

It is a slightly odd picture Bridget because it's not how I'd expect a dead colony to look. Maybe my experience is just my experience but I'd expect the biggest proportion of those bees to be lying in a pile on the floor rather than seemingly frozen in situ. Heads in cells of another significant number of them if it was starvation. Interested to hear what everyone else thinks as well.

Was the fondant over a hole in the crown board or was it directly on top of the frames?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Comb View Post
    Was the fondant over a hole in the crown board or was it directly on top of the frames?
    It was over a hole in the crown board but the bees had been well into it and there was one dead bee in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Went to check the fondant today - the two polys look fine - just a quick glance under the fondant to see if any movment. But the National, my biggest colony with 9 seams in January, all dead. I've put up a picture below and would a) be grateful for any thoughts, comments and procedures to follow b) any advice how to check though the hive to see if I can see any reason for this and c) can I save the drawn comb d) how to deal with the hive to get rid of any nasties. I shall be able to give the hive a good going over at the weekend but no time today.
    This colony was treated with Apistan in late September when the heather was over and with OA in Jan. Had very little varroa mite drop from this hive. Fed syrup throughout the autumn and fondant after the OA. Last seen flying 0n 27 Feb and had a quick peek on the 10th March and there was movement then. They were well insulated above the board and also had polystyrene boards around the outside of the hive, which I did last year as well. They just look like the folk of Pompeii - just dropped in their tracks.
    This hive has evidence of mice droppings on the inspection board and some odd legs and wings on the board as well.
    DEAD BEES.jpg
    Well pulled the hive of dead bees apart today and i'm pretty sure they starved. Dead bees several deep on the floor and bees over every frame but one and many of them nose down in the cells. No sign of any stores at all with a small amount of pollen on one of the outer frames. The new fondant I had put on 31st Jan had been eaten into but you would have thought that if they were starving they would have finished it and I would have given them more. No sign of a cluster, they were well spread out and no sign of the young queen from last summer as she was unmarked. Have taken a sample of bees to send to SASA.
    IMG_0029.jpg
    Bottom of hive with dead bees
    IMG_0031.jpg
    Starved bees all head down
    IMG_0036.jpg
    Dead bees covering most of the frames

Blog Entries

Hi Bridget.
    Looks like starvation all right. Don't beat yourself up about it and you still have a couple of colonies which hopefully will do well this year.

I know several people who have lost all their bees already this winter, several colonies in some cases.

I have lost a lot of my late summer nucs this winter.
    I posted these pics back in December.