Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Any casualties yet?

An easy way to close the space down on a full size brood box Bridget is to make a wide dummy using Kingspan. I can show you one if you're coming to the Spey Beeks meeting tomorrow and you remind me!

Blog Entries

There's one of my quality correx insulated dummies!
    There is 50mm thick piece of polystryene inside

correx-box-insulated-dummy.jpg

With a 2 frame colony, I would remove a couple of frames and move the two frames of bees and brood up to the front of the box (assuming warm way frames) Put the insulated dummy directly behind the two frames and the rest of the stores behind the dummy frame. They will be able to access the stores if they need them. Check every 10 days or so and add more space as needed by moving another frame or two in front of the dummy. Build up will be very slow from 2 frame size. I have a couple like this myself. If it warms up you could add a frame of emerging brood from a stronger colony at some point to give it a boost.
    Last edited by Jon; 19-05-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: clarity

Mine have actually some wood content Jon! Two top bars, ply outsides, and 100mm of Kingspan inside. All sealed up with lovely duct tape!

Blog Entries

Sometimes I make the top bar from wood but a double piece of correx does the job just as well and keeps it nice and light. I buy the tape 12 rolls at a time on e-bay.

My remaining hive thinks it is still early March, all our gorse has died after hard winter, so waiting for trees and rape to start. I looked in hive last Sunday and saw queen, she is laying, but most eggs and grubs are at top of frames, in total about 3 inches across. Is laying at top something unusual, as I expected eggs under pollen stores? I have been feeding, but the bees are not taking much. Any thoughts?

Have you an open mesh floor? Is the hive wood or polystyrene and / or what insulation is there above the crown board? It is one assumes a single brood chamber and not 1 1/2 or 2x.

Smith wooden hive with open mesh floor. No insulation anymore as have feeder on them.

Learn how to stitch up a cut down duvet for covering all shapes and seal up the top with poly material

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Default Any casualties yet?

Thanks guys. Drumgerry see you later and I'm bringing Anne and Jen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Samsalar View Post
    Smith wooden hive with open mesh floor. No insulation anymore as have feeder on them.
    Open mesh floors with the tray removed are the invention of the devil. It will be impossible to keep the hive warm in the winter time, think of a 1st floor room with almost all the floor removed and the ground floor open to the elements; how could that be heated ? A feeder provides but little insulation and wet hive walls provide even less. Modern microporus paints and / or deep roofs will keep the walls dry and thick styrofoam over the crown board or quilting or a deep tray filled with wool (fleeces are cheap at present) or other insulating material will stop heat escaping into the attic.
    What you described is similar to what was seen here when omfs first became popular, brood needs heat and a degree of humidity to hatch - same as birds eggs. Your bees were seeking the warmest part of the hive, position a removable solid floor 2" below the mesh and all should be well.