Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: UK Parliament submissions on pesticides

Blog Entries

There is certainly no bee armaggedon in our area
    Nor in my area.
    The better beekeepers make increase or sell a few nucs every year and the same guys lose their bees every winter.
    The losers often have strange ideas about varroa control, ie none at all or use of quack non approved products.

Can't wait for part 3. Got my popcorn ready!
    Check if I make a post while Julian Little is speaking. Our old friend borderbeeman has spread it all over the internet that this jon character is really Julian little of Bayer. Someone should tell my mother.

Hi Jon,

LOL!
    Had a look at Julian Little while he was speaking. When did you get contact lens and start to use Grecian 2000 plus you have shrunk a bit since I met you in Stirling.

Blog Entries

Good head of hair even if he is a bit of a lightweight.

Live now

I've only just caught up with this thread.
    John, if you value nature in general and bees in particular, you should not even have to think about your reply to SSE, the answer is no.
    IMO your proposed sale to the council is a get out to make you feel better about the whole thing.
    Fight it man, it's something positive you can do for pollinators.

Our local BBKA has trained about 20 beginners a year for the past 4 years. (I was one and now assist).. Some of them have progressed from 2 to 20 hives plus in that time).
    Given that monthly meetings are attended by 60-80 members, that is one big increase in active membership - even if you allow for a 50% dropout rate after a couple of years.

Not the sign of a decline in bee numbers.. or of beekeepers..

As for bumble bees, there is no arable land within a five mile radius and judging by visitors to the garden numbers are increasing..

Default Thanks for a clear reply .

Quote Originally Posted by Black Comb View Post
    I've only just caught up with this thread.
    John, if you value nature in general and bees in particular, you should not even have to think about your reply to SSE, the answer is no.
    IMO your proposed sale to the council is a get out to make you feel better about the whole thing.
    Fight it man, it's something positive you can do for pollinators.
    Yes, I agree that I should defend this important Great Yellow Bumblebee habitat. It is also one of the most recent areas where Artic Terns have bred successfully--but they haven't done that anywhere for several years.

The numerous ecologocical surveys certainly should pick up the GYB connection, but haven't done so yet, as far as I know. We do have a bumble expert, John Crossland, resident here, and I know he is fully aware of the special nature of this land as a rare pocket of GYB populations. I will speak with him.

Blog Entries

The RSPB have various projects on Orkney as well. I listened to a programme yesterday evening on Radio 4 about hen harriers on Orkney.
    The RSPB guy said that numbers had been hammered by overgrazing by sheep affecting the habitat of their prey but they are now recovering strongly with 115 chicks raised this year from 102 breeding females.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The RSPB have various projects on Orkney as well. I listened to a programme yesterday evening on Radio 4 about hen harriers on Orkney.
    The RSPB guy said that numbers had been hammered by overgrazing by sheep affecting the habitat of their prey but they are now recovering strongly with 115 chicks raised this year from 102 breeding females.
    Yes,and my daughter was 'the corncrake wife' this summer making sure us farmers don't mow them all away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    That is fantastic and just shows what a traversty it is compared to on the mainland upland moors where they raised absolutely sod all young. Hmmmm I wonder why.

Charlie, Wills and Harrys pals on the grouse estates.