Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Countryfile and friendly bees

For the record, I've just got around to watching the piece in question on iplayer and am left somewhat surprised (having read some of the threads elsewhere and a few of the posts here) at how inoffensive I actually found it. OK there are some issues about sick bees (or not) but we're pretty used to that by now, surely.

I would actually suggest that the way the sting was dealt with (even if it followed some rather rash behaviour and statements about how friendly the bees are, why wouldn't they be?) probably did more good than harm. No hysterics or undue panic. Dealt with as sensibly as the circumstances allowed.

Blog Entries

Far too calm and reasoned

I think once the usual fallacious statements about "conventional beekeeping" were trotted out by the country file presenter as well as floaty lady I'll be quite honest and admit that I was waiting for something interesting to happen. Soon as they stuck her by the hive entrance it was obvious what was going to happen; a veil, let alone a 'chemical warfare suit' would have prevented that, but the running commentary leading up to the inevitable just made it all the more entertaining.

I don't mind people prattling on about their magic beehives in the slightest, but when there's more of the stuff trotted out as "fact" than was smothered on the hive itself then I think the level of glee at the conclusion of the article is perhaps understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    the running commentary leading up to the inevitable just made it all the more entertaining.
    Must admit, you couldn't have made it up.

Blog Entries

Having seen (many more years ago than I care to remember) a chemical warfare suit demonstrated, I wonder how many beekeepers do actually wear one? Even on the ill-natured bees we learnt with in Hampshire, jacket, veil and gloves were all that was required (plus the occasional long walk through the woods to shake off the followers). Yet another use of inaccurate emotive associations by the new agey touchy-feelies. I'm beginning rather to resent their attacks on ordinary beekeepers. We've increased our colonies, sold nucs and gained a big crop of the best-tasting honey we've had for years. Neither a crystal nor a cowpat in sight, nor do we have to consult special charts before deciding what to do with bees or plants. As for cruelty, nobody mentioned the fate of the poor bee that stung the presenter. Had the presenter been properly protected with a veil, the bee need not have died! [not sure where to find an ironic smiley but would insert one here ..]

Blog Entries

Had the presenter been properly protected with a veil, the bee need not have died!
    Karma dictates that the bee may well be reincarnated as a BBC presenter in its next life.
    Last edited by Jon; 24-10-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    For the record, I've just got around to watching the piece in question on iplayer and am left somewhat surprised (having read some of the threads elsewhere and a few of the posts here) at how inoffensive I actually found it. OK there are some issues about sick bees (or not) but we're pretty used to that by now, surely.

I would actually suggest that the way the sting was dealt with (even if it followed some rather rash behaviour and statements about how friendly the bees are, why wouldn't they be?) probably did more good than harm. No hysterics or undue panic. Dealt with as sensibly as the circumstances allowed.
    Here's a link to Rob Dartington on you tube a real beekeeper with alternative views and a jolly nice chap to boot
    Don't agree with letting the queen in the supers though for three reasons
    Taste of honey
    bees can't store honey where they put brood so wasted comb space
    Any supers that have had brood are vunerable to wax moth in store shed normally they would be safe

Still a good little video though -- The beehaus is not my cup of tea but it does make lots of sense unlike most alternative beekeeping lunacy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xs_O...feature=relate

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Default Landward

If you can tear yourself away from Pudsey Bear on Friday night here’s a link to what’s on Landward at 7:00pm.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p09b9

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay s View Post
    If you can tear yourself away from Pudsey Bear on Friday night here’s a link to what’s on Landward at 7:00pm.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p09b9
    Does this programme make it to iplayer etc?

Blog Entries

Should do. Looks to be taking a visit to Heather Hills, one of Tayside's bee farming enterprises.

Blog Entries

Always preferred Landward to Countryfile. Not just because I've been on a couple of times! Missed the broadcast last night (was out talking to one of Heather Hills' competitors) but just watched it now. The bee item is first up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...13_Episode_21/

The piece features some gratuitious smoking - not sure why he has to do that. Its just 'what beekeepers do', so maybe he feels the need. I wouldn't even light the smoker to shift bees, just go in quietly.

Do stick with it for the Doric unaccompanied signing half way through.
    Last edited by gavin; 17-11-2012 at 08:28 AM.