Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Countryfile and friendly bees

Default Countryfile and friendly bees

A nice wee reminder that when going near bees a veil should be worn to avoid the disfiguring facial stings. I dont care if I look like a toxic waste remover. Pmsl.

That woman is/was nutter she even made the hive from Bullshit literally
    She never inspects the bees for disease or problems
    I'm thinking of just giving up beekeeping and leaving it to the nutjobs to get on with it lets see how far they get
    Natural beekeeping my ass
    Countryfile should hang it's head in shame
    Television reaches new levels of ignorance

Blog Entries

One of the myths put out by the 'natural' beekeepers is that putting them in a different shaped box such as a warre or a TBH takes the malevolence out of them.

Read this for a reality check.

Bad bees are bad bees no matter what container they are in. Squashing the queen and replacing her is the way to go - a concept some of us know as bee improvement.

learning how to handle bees gently is the way to go and good stock will hardly notice the intrusion.
    Encouraging people to walk around without a veil on beside colonies of bees is reckless.
    Ok. I do it with my own bees but not if I have to open boxes and take frames out.
    Last edited by Jon; 21-10-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Blog Entries

When someone says 'PMSL' I have to have a look! Nice to see Drone Ranger so animated. Someone needs to talk to these journalists/reporters.

Blog Entries

The link is up now.

Scroll to minute 38
    Last edited by Jon; 22-10-2012 at 12:23 AM.

No matter how you try to educate people about safe and practical beekeeping , it only takes one rubbish programme item such as this weeks Country File to undermine common sense. I agree entirely with drone ranger and compliment him on his use of moderate language when faced with such a muppet.Julia Bradbury should have been advised about the perils of approaching bees without suitable protection.What would the Beeb have done if she had gone into anaphalatic shock I wonder.
    Last edited by GRIZZLY; 23-10-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Blog Entries

I never knew country file had turned into a sit com, shame they went with such a predictable plot.

I'm disappointed that they parroted the usual sanctimonious twaddle about Beekeepers not blessed with sticking a cow horn where the sun doesn't shine taking all the honey and feeding syrup instead.

Congratulations to DR for being the first to give that hive the name I suspect it will rapidly become known as outside of la-la land.

Blog Entries

Dung-ho beekeeping allright.

My main issues are two of.

One. No PPE. Bloody iresponsible and duly paid for. Now if she had gone into shock and died......

Two. Sweeping statement. "The bees are sick" OH?

My bees certainly are not, and apart from varroa, have, if any, the self same diseases as over 100 years ago.

Complete rubbish pushed as a factual story. And worse I helped pay for it!

PH

Blog Entries

Someone tell me I didn't see crystals by the 'hive' entrance in that last shot .... please?

So this natural beekeeper wants the bees to return to the health they enjoyed 100 years ago? That'll be when most of them were wiped out by Isle of Wight disease, I suppose. She's certainly going the right way about it if that's what she's after.