Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bee farmers in Perth

Blog Entries

Default Bee farmers in Perth

This afternoon the Scottish Government arranged a training and discussion afternoon for the bee farmers in Scotland. If any have stumbled across this site as a result of my shameless promotion of it, welcome! I had in mind that we'd use this part of the forum for those who already make part or all of their income from bees.

The main point of the afternoon was to discuss bee health issues in general, and also to go through the plans for EFB-infected operations in 2010.

There was also a brief discussion of the Food Standards Agency Scotland's consultation on testing for residues following last year's application of oxytetracycline to colonies at risk from EFB. There is a link to today's news release on our Home page.

http://www.heather-hills.com/adopt-o...&category_id=5

I'm looking for sponsorship along these lines
    about £150 per hive
    You get a picture of a bee
    A picture of a honey jar
    and a sprig of white heather
    A great deal and you will help me save the honey bee for posterity
    Yippee for shameless exploitation of the gullible public ,children, and the bewildered
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 09-07-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Blog Entries

LOL! Wind them up and see if that brings them on the forum, eh?! To be fair, I think that the BBKA and maybe one of the fringe beekeeping groups were there before them.

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

D R you forgot to add that for an extra £10 you can name your own bee

Lol! your right Lindsay I missed that trick

For £15 when it dies after 6 weeks we can send it to you in a matchbox and you can bury it in your garden

Blog Entries

Changed my mind about what to say there. Anyway, you can't say that they're not enterprising.

I wonder what is in this given the problems Heather Hills have had: 'Personalised letter of introduction explaining the plight of the honey bee.'

For the list of goodies, the day beekeeping with Heather Hills, and the pub lunch I could see folk thinking they were getting a decent gift. Might even like it myself .....
    Last edited by gavin; 10-07-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Generally the public want to help save the honey bees and do their bit
    My concern is that if they are taken for mugs then all the good will can disappear very quickly
    I wouldn't expect schoolkids to give up their pocket money buying sugar for someones hives
    There are people who are proud to have got them to do this though
    It's not sensible or fair to cash in on goodwill
    We wouldn't ignore fake charity bags asking for donations of clothes etc
    I think it's right to expect all beekeepers not to try and con the public
    If people want to help honey bees they can grow a few plants and not spray insecticides around the place that's enough

I think you've hit the nail on the head there DR. There is a lot of goodwill just now regarding all things bee. And seemingly plenty of people out there happy to wring what they can from it. It's only a question of time though. The bubble will have to burst some time. And my hope is that before it does something worthwhile comes out of it for the long term. Whoops Gavin that's me back on the hobby horse again despite me having eaten up a page and a bit of this month's Scottish Beekeeper already with it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    I wouldn't expect schoolkids to give up their pocket money buying sugar for someones hives
    There are people who are proud to have got them to do this though
    It's not sensible or fair to cash in on goodwill
    You must be thinking of this:
    http://www.lennoxherald.co.uk/lifest...4557-25846733/

It was an embarrassment to the local beekeepers I spoke to. That comes from the amateur community though, largely one man, and not the commercial.

Yes Gerry, enjoyed your letter. My partner thought the sentiments very close to my own. DR doesn't know what he's missing . Can probably guess though.