Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bee farmers in Perth

Yes exactly
    Exploitation

Can't join SBA yet till they recognise part of a year means part of a years fees
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 10-07-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Shall we remind you in December, then? Just in time for your Christmas list

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    To be fair, I think that the BBKA and maybe one of the fringe beekeeping groups were there before them.
    It is coming back to me now. A couple of senior SBA people volunteered their services for this scheme by the English BBKA. I'm pretty sure that Heather Hills followed them down this route:

http://www.bbka.org.uk/about/adopt_a_beehive

Could have been wrote better though: 'You will also receive a welcome pack full off bee goodies including: .... '
    Last edited by gavin; 11-07-2013 at 07:57 AM.

Yes back in December
    Its a bit crazy not to have either individual renewal dates like any other subscription or part year payment

This "adopt a hive stuff" is just wrong
    Buy British honey
    Put charity stickers on like bees for development
    Sell packets of bee friendly seeds
    Encourage people to come along to beekeeping events
    Advise folk about what not to spray etc
    Tell people bees wont sting their pets to death etc
    All these are positive

Cowpat hives Not good
    Money for nothing sponsorship very bad
    What next Tesco "sponsor a shelf stacker" ?
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 11-07-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Yes Gerry, enjoyed your letter.
    Thanks Gavin. I feel happier now it's been said and in print. it remains to be seen whether there'll be any reaction forthcoming. I get the feeling that it's only us on the forum that are bothered about this.

Blog Entries

One of the sad things about this was that a few individuals in the SBA leadership were making decisions about how to approach this without the slightest idea of what the membership thought of it. Our LA had a brief discussion on the SG consultation on subsidised 'restocking' and the rest of the EU Apiculture Programme (this thing we're discussing now was purely Scottish Government funded though, I'm not clear whether or not the use of the EU funds has yet been set) at a winter meeting without anyone pushing any particular line or campaigning for or against. The show of hands was very strongly for preferring Amm/near Amm if possible and against subsidising imports for bee farmers. From what I heard other LAs in the area held similar views, and there is a lot of overlap between LA and SBA memberships.

On the Amm/near Amm question, I did take part in SBA Executive discussions on this at and around one Executive meeting when I was standing in for Phil Moss, and there was agreement to bring this to the Council meeting so that the wishes of the membership could be discussed. Maybe the stance of the organisation regarding subsidising imports for bee farmers (at least one of whom managed to lose almost all his stock while the amateurs in the area fared much better on average) should also be brought before Council so that it can be aired, discussed, and, if possible, voted upon to guide future interactions of the organisation with government.

What I'm saying is that I would think the SBA membership has diverse views but is generally Amm-sympathetic rather than Amm-mad, and anti-import with a degree of sympathy for those who try to make their income from bees in Scotland. But I don't know. Needs testing in November I think. Who knows, maybe me and Eric would be on the same side for a change.
    Last edited by gavin; 11-07-2013 at 10:19 AM.

After reading the link to the Lennox Herald can I just say that the Helensburgh Association had no part in this sugar scam. We were asked by the CABA bee breeding group to donate spare nucs or colonies to this project, which I think the committee or our members at the time did donate bees. We were also asked if we were willing to help in a workparty to get the apiry site sorted out. When some of our members were then looking for bees from this bee breeding project they were asked to pay £70 for a nuc. As far as I know it is now defunct