Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powdered sugar dusting

Yes please, lets have the source.
    American Bee Journal Vol 149 No. 6
    June 2009
    Survivor Stock -A Protocol for Small-Scale Beekeepers by M.E.A.McNeil.

Cobey says it is critical to monitor colony levels, use marginal controls when needed and re-queen susceptible colonies. The mites are allies in the process since the bees need the exposure to develop resistance.

Although she would like to see a more thorough protocol worked out, she offered the following suggestions:

......Use powdered sugar weekly all season. To be most effective, powdered sugar requires heating, which is not practical in the field-but it can be used in management, such as shaking bees or setting up new colonies.
    As you can see from the 2009 date it's quite some time since I first read the article but it's still the only reference I can think of which mentions heating the sugar for best effect.

edit, 22/03/2013: In the interests of clarity, I've today received confirmation from Susan Cobey that she would never suggest the warming of the sugar.

The wording of the article suggests that she's said something when she hasn't.

Her actual point is that when shaking for packages etc the bees can be treated by placing them in a container with powdered sugar; the heat generated by the bees in the box can help to increase mite fall...caveat regarding ease of overheating/mortality of bees etc
    Last edited by prakel; 23-03-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Blog Entries

bump to highlight Prakel's edit.

I was going to post something cheeky but I can see some people actually believe this sugar stuff and I read in my horoscope the stars are not sufficiently favourable till Mars appears in Uranus

Would those who are shareholders in any sugar refinery please identify themselves, not doing so is quite unethical.

Blog Entries

You suggesting that the forum is rife with Tate and Lyle and Silver Spoon shills?
    These guys are worse than Bayer and Syngenta.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You suggesting that the forum is rife with Tate and Lyle and Silver Spoon shills?
    And a lot sweeter

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    'tis a conspiracy I tell you, a conspiracy I tell you; Chapter but not verse, RoyalBlacks - worse than bees and Lol.

Blog Entries

Default Powdered sugar dusting

After last year and looking at how this year is panning out so far I am considering shares in British sugar.

Blog Entries

The first shill/share price ramper just outed himself!

But it has got to be a glorious summer this year, surely, with no extra sugar needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Neils View Post
    After last year and looking at how this year is panning out so far I am considering shares in British sugar.
    It is quite well known that you already have a controlling interest in this organisation. In the interests of clarity kindly refrain from understating your involvment.