View Poll Results: Have you signed the petition yet?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, as I want to eliminate pesticides that harm bees from our environment

1 33.33%
  • No, the corporations should be allowed to sell whatever they think is best for us.

1 33.33%
  • Not yet, as I don't understand what's really going on.

1 33.33%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Petition to ban neonics: Please sign & spread if you want to save our bees

Quote Originally Posted by Easy beesy View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly that we would be better off nutritionally and environmentally if we grew organically, pest- herb-and every other -icide free, so why not petition for the positive, I'm sure you would garner much more support that way.
    A simple step all livestock farmers should take would be to include a range of herbs/deeper-rooted species in their reseed mixtures.

The benefits are severalfold: minerals are raised up to become available to stock, insects thrive,leguminous plants fix free nitrogen to boost yields, early flowering herbs benefit bees etc.

This does require a slight change in mindset for both farmers and seed producers. But the idea of an increased bespoke industry of farmers growing chicory, phacelia,plantains,sweet clover,etc for seed production seems quite attractive to me.
    Last edited by Johnthefarmer; 01-10-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: herbal remedies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnthefarmer View Post
    I have produced more and better food off my 170 acre Orkney farm in the last 12 years since becoming Organic than I did using more conventional methods.
    John, how much of that is consumed on Orkney and what if anything is exported (even if just mainland)?
    Last edited by HJBee; 01-10-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Default mostly shipped

Quote Originally Posted by HJBee View Post
    John, how much of that is consumed on Orkeny and what if anything is exported (even if just mainland)?
    95% of my lambs go straight to Tesco's Organic, Aberdeen (400/year) . My calves are reared by an organic neighbour and mostly go the same way. Why do you ask?

Most of the oats and barley go to the sheep but maybe 10% is for our poultry (eggs for our guesthouse), and for other organic farmers' sheep and poultry.

It's Orkney, by the way.
    Last edited by Johnthefarmer; 01-10-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Default how stupid am i? ticked the wrong box!

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    Yes, lets go 100% organic and starve 20% of the world as yields collapse.
    We all do that sometimes, don't we?

meant to tick box 3 but missed...
    Last edited by Johnthefarmer; 01-10-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Blog Entries

95% of my lambs go straight to Tesco's Organic, Aberdeen (400/year) . My calves are reared by an organic neighbour and mostly go the same way. Why do you ask?
    I was interested, I buy organic when available/prices allow or buy free range farm assured. I also consider transport for the carbon footprint. Do Tesco's put on their packaging which farmer they source from like Asda do?

VIt's Orkney, by the way.
    I've corrected the mis-type, since it obviously bothered you.
    Last edited by HJBee; 01-10-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Default pedants against the wurld

Quote Originally Posted by HJBee View Post

I've corrected the mis-type, since it obviously bothered you.
    Quite right ,too.
    Last edited by Johnthefarmer; 02-10-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Blog Entries

Much better to work with systems which............. produce higher quality food .
    John, how do you define *higher quality food* ?

Blog Entries

Just wondering, because a 2003 report by Afssa (the French food health agency) concludes that generally, there is very little significant and reproducible difference between the chemical composition of raw materials coming from conventional or organic agriculture.
    “The numerous factors involved in the chemical composition and nutritional value of foodstuffs (variety/race, season, climate, stage of maturity or development, time of storage,…..) are often more important than the impact of factors strictly linked to type of agriculture ( nature of fertilizer, sanitary treatments..).”

Organic food is no healthier..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19465692