Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robbing Apideas

Default Robbing Apideas

I placed some at home yesterday (opened after 3 days with cell). No hives at home.
    Being robbed today. Reduced entrance to one bee space..
    Anything else I can do?

Blog Entries

You need to put the cells in within 24-48 hours of queen emergence to avoid chilling and queen damage especially to the wings and they should not be opened until the virgin is emerged from the cell.
    Is it bees robbing rather than wasps.
    Using fondant rather than syrup reducers the risk of starting robbing.

I have about 30 apideas with 20 feet of 10 strong colonies and there has been no issue with robbing.

Thanks.
    Yes it's bees robbing (not many wasps about this year). They have fondant.
    I don't understand the part about queen emergence. 9 days after grafting I filled the Apideas and following day placed queen cells in Ap. 2 days later I have placed them on the mating stands and opened.Is this correct?

Blog Entries

That sounds ok if you put the cell in 10 days after grafting.
    I leave the apideas closed and do not set them out open on the stands until the queen has emerged.
    I check this by removing the cell and checking that the queen is out.
    I find that an apidea opened before the queen has emerged loses a lot of bees to absconding.
    The presence of the virgin queen seems to hold them in the apidea.
    Last edited by Jon; 23-08-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Thanks. Now I understand

If its bees robbing did you prime the Apideas with bees from the same or a nearby apiary? Perhaps some left, returned to their 'home' and told them about the fondant? I usually prime mini-nucs with bees from a distant apiary and keep them locked in for 3-4 days until the queen emerges.

If the virgin has only just emerged can you move them three miles or more?

3 miles not an option at the moment but will be next season.
    They were from supers (warm day, lot,of adults flying) in the main apiary about 1 mile away.
    Learning lots on here.
    Thanks all.

Blog Entries

The virgin queen usually takes her first orientation flight on day 4 or 5 after emergence so you have a few days to make up your mind about a change of site for the apidea.

An apidea can be robbed out in no time.

If you close up the robbed hive in the evening (if you can wait that long), you'll see bees hanging around trying to get in the next morning.
    Icing sugar shaken onto robbers as they leave the hive can help you identify where they come from.

I have had 2 small nucs that were suffering just a few days ago. (One was my fault). I shut them up as soon as I saw the robbing and moved them 2 miles to my out apiary and let them out the next day. The robbers then became part of the colony - I was pleased to find that in both, the queens were there. There was very little stores as both had been robbed out so they were fed with syrup and now fine. Both queens laying. it brought a smile back to my face.
    An out apiary is a GOOD THING and highly recommended.For beekeeping. ALSO as Wife doesn't know I have 5 colonies there, she thinks there's just 2!

Sorted out a move to a friends' apiary tonight.
    I checked the queen cells, one has been chewed out at the side so I assume it's a goner.
    Advice I have received in past said it's OK to insert cells without cages or Sellotape around. Last time I used Apideas they were all accepted without protection.