Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Poly hive musings.

I use the Swienty feeders as fondant covers on my poly Nats. they fit the OD neatly and if the ratio is the same with Lang then they may well fit but that lip is of course the issue. The answer of course may be to saw it off.

PH

Dont run Langstroths , gumbo , so can't tell you. Mine fit on to all my national based hives despite their variations in O/dimensions. I've left them on the hive over winter in the past with no ill effects - the bees overwintered fine.

Just taken delivery of my new Swienty poly nationals, I'm now faced with acres of painting. At least I've got the winter to carry out the task. I'm looking forward to transferring my colonies in the spring and being able to beekeep with equipment that matches dimensionally with my old wooden gear. This leaves me with 20 M.B hives to dispose of - any takers , going cheap (1/2 price)

Looking at things it looks as if the Sweinty is best matched to BBS wooden nats, so my initial order will come from Wales. A good debate for anyone wanting to make an informed dicision. Does anyone operarte 14 x 12 with Sweinty's, If so do you use 2 supers or brood and super to accomodate the larger frame ?

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    ...The Swienty roof designed for top bee space (ie no rim, therefore gives a bee squashing a problem with a bottom bee space Swienty National box) demands some sort of intervention. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by nellyp View Post
    Looking at things it looks as if the Sweinty is best matched to BBS wooden nats, so my initial order will come from Wales. A good debate for anyone wanting to make an informed dicision. ...
    I thought of ordering a Swienty, but following Gavin's remark I decided against it and ordered a double brood box hive with a super from Bee Hive Supplies. It's still a bit too early for me to report back because I only transferred the bees into this hive just before winter - but I'm happy so far. It seems like a good hive and one that is also completely interchangeable with other hives. The roof is very sturdy with lots of insulation and a large rim fitting over the top box.
    Kitta

Gavin note was taken in. I've got some spare wooden equipment so was thinking of mixing and matching by using traditional cb and roof(insulated) with poly brood and floor.
    BHS offering looks good however overall dims of the hive aren't comptiable if I wish to mix and match, esp when it comes to
    wooden roofs. I'm in agreement with Grizzly I don't want to waste kit I already have so compatiability and ease of use is a serious issue and the Swienty offer looks a little cheaper.
    Last edited by nellyp; 05-01-2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: added text

Blog Entries

.. so was thinking of mixing and matching by using traditional cb and roof(insulated) with poly brood and floor.
    That may work - if you mean ply crownboard on the brood box then a sheet of Kingspan or similar before the roof.

I might (not having spare traditional roofs) consider oiling (boiled linseed oil) a ply crownboard to go between a Swienty National (bottom space) brood box and a Swienty (no space under as they're designed for Langstroths) polystyrene roof. May stop the mould on the crownboard while giving the bee space each side.

G.

.[/QUOTE] gavin;15156]That may work - if you mean ply crownboard on the brood box then a sheet of Kingspan or similar before the roof

That was my thinking Gavin. Trial and error will see which that does work and that, that doesn't work.
    Last edited by nellyp; 05-01-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Over engineering me thinks. I have used various combinations over the years of poly or wooden floors, poly brood, ply CB and then either poly roof or timer roof with a chunk of insulation in. I have never treated the prly CB's and have never that I can think of had issues with them. This is over 20+ years on at times quite numerous amounts so not a one hive sample.

PH

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

... I've got some spare wooden equipment so was thinking of mixing and matching by using traditional cb and roof(insulated) with poly brood and floor. ...
    I don't understand why you would want to use a wooden roof with a poly hive, Nelly. You immediately will have to start fluffing about because poly boxes - no matter where they're from - aren't compatible with wooden roofs. I also think that the roof is one of the most important parts of a poly hive. Why have wonderfully insulated walls, and then undermine it all with a wooden roof and crown board?
    Kitta