Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2060686970

Thread: Poly hive musings.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay s View Post
    I don’t find condensation a problem with my poly Everynucs. In my Smith hives I leave mesh over the holes in the crownboards and find the under sides of roofs are often soaking wet by the springtime. (No insulation in between) They are on solid floors by the way. Contrary to most opinions my bees don’t seal up the mesh.
    First question. I thought any condensation might have been dissipated by the the open mesh floor or does it lie on the under side of the crownboard.
    Second question. Would it be worth leaving the main central hole in the crown board uncovered and opening up a couple of the vent holes in the Abelo roof. The OMF floor has a tight fitting under tray but there’ll be some draught from the entrance. Our winters are long and damp but I would rather not create a wind tunnel if it’s not necessary.
    Condensation occurs where damp air meets cold, (on the inside of a single glazed window in winter for example) so I would be inclined to seal up and insulate the top of the hive so there are no cold spots and leave the OMF open. If it's windy, a super under the brood box would act as a baffle and stop the wind from whistling around the inside of the hive.

Hi,

I have just painted my new Maisemore poly hive and for what it's worth I thought I'd share what I learnt about paint.

I used GoodHome smooth masonry paint because the sample pots are 300ml so I optimistically thought "marvellous". As a plus the colours are lovely but as a negative the coverage is not great. I have used 300ml fully to the last drop for floor, one brood box and two supers, and over half a pot of second colour for just the roof.

If and when my Swienty hive becomes empty I'll paint that (took it on with bees in unpainted) but will use Sandtex for comparison. Shame the colours aren't as nice!

Anyway, hello guys, this is my first post

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Hi immabee,
    I have a tin of green masonry paint I use which seems to be OK with the idea that it would blend in and not be too noticeable although in winter I really need a dark brown colour. I had tried some 'arty' colours before but they looked rubbish! I have mini-nucs which have been painted with random matt emulsion and that seems to stay on well enough.
    Welcome to the forum.

Hi Adam,

I've seen some green poly hives looking very nice.
    This is the colour scheme I went with:
    I'd quite like my next one to have a differently coloured roof, just for variety!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk