Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Poly hive musings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    You're right, Prakel - a lot of squashed bees as a result of the interlocking lips. At first I liked them because I thought no wind can force its way into the hive - but I hate hearing that crunching noise. Kitta
    This is my one main issue with the Lyson mini-plus hives, the same lip and the same crunching.

(edit: although they're too small to show any major operating restrictions).

My other dislike of the mini plus hives has been the awful plastic/wood frames which were standard issue up until recently (I believe they've up graded to wood now -once old stocks are sold out) where after a couple of years use the plastic side bars distort and pull away from the push-in bottom bars. Minor nuiscance admittedly.
    Last edited by prakel; 17-08-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Glad I stuck with smiths poly's, not sure I follow all the issues being discussed. Can anyone explain the British fascination with bottom space nationals. I gave mine away very early in my beekeeping career. No regrets

Blog Entries

I use bottom space nationals!
    I also use the lightweight plastic excluders which everyone else seems to hate.
    You can set these excluders back on after an inspection and they are so light the bees wriggle out from the edges before you put the supers back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I use bottom space nationals!
    I also use the lightweight plastic excluders which everyone else seems to hate.
    You can set these excluders back on after an inspection and they are so light the bees wriggle out from the edges before you put the supers back on.
    O.K. on bottom bee space as they lie flat on top of the frames but hopeless on top bee space as they sag so much.Framed wire are much better on top bee space.You dont trap bees if you put them on diagonally and twist into place.This lets the bees escape crushing.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by nemphlar View Post
    Glad I stuck with smiths poly's ...
    Out of curiosity (because I don't use Smiths), who sells polystyrene Smith hives? On Swienty's 'About Us' page they say they sell them, but I can't see them in their catalogue.
    Kitta

I bought them from denrosa, only used them this year.

My MB hive is now empty and I've got to clean it. I can't use a blow lamp and scraper; Has anyone any suggestions who's done it before?

Just use the blowlamp ... in a well ventilated space

I scrubbed mine out with washing soda ... this softens the propolis and makes it easy to remove. MB have more details.

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    ...I bought a set of the Swienty hives which I've used for a season side-by-side with M.B.hives.I found these a bit too basic and have made the decision to stick with the M.B.hives which I now find much easier to operate as I get used to the system and added the parts to produce interchangeability with my wood hives..Each to his own I suppose.
    I somehow missed this line when origionally posted.

In what sense do you find the swienty hives too basic?

From the perspective of some years of use I will make the following comments.

Poly boxes area push fit and so the timetaken to paint them is in my view part of the construction and takes me some five minutes if that a box. I do not varnish them and never have in over 20 years of using.

Longlevity. I can post you some pics of poly langstroths owned by a friend of mine from Ross-Shire which are some 35 years old and going strong.

Runners. Never used them and see no need to.

If the bees are chewing the poly it is not hard enough and so the boxes are not fit for purpose. Contact the supplier.

Plastic CB... *LOL* Bin it and use either nothing or a 12mm ply one.

Roofs. I put a brick on mine as I use it for messages. For winter I double the bricks as I no longer need the brick code I use in the active season.

The problem at the moment is there are some pretty poor units on sale and as ever buyer beware. What do I buy? Swienty and never so far had an issue.

PH