Page 49 of 70 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Poly hive musings.

Just received an Abelo poly national (I am slowly converting from wooden nationals to poly). The internal finish was less than good (and largely unpainted). Be aware that there is no Q excluder. The hard plastic tops and bottoms on the boxes and floor legs should surely make for longevity but I am not sure how wind sturdy the hive will be - the plastic slips easily - it may need a breeze block on top in our winter storms.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by alancooper View Post
    ... - the plastic slips easily - it may need a breeze block on top in our winter storms.
    Straps, Alan - straps.
    Kitta

propolis

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    Straps, Alan - straps.
    Kitta
    Straps having the great advantage they hold the hive together if it is washed away in a flood :-) or blown over.. Given the ease of use of ratchet straps, and their cheapness at sale time (£2?), a no brainer.

Reading this thread with its list of modifications ,and problems that have to be overcome ,I'm impressed at the lengths folk are prepared to go to
    Using cedar Smith hives is so boringly simple
    Is there anything I can do to complicate things without resorting to buying poly hives?

Yes - propolis and straps of course But until poly design stabilises there will be minor hassles with each design. Overall, however, the poly hive route is the one I am content with.
    Alan.

I've been tinkering around with the Payne's Polys to get things better after dropping a brood box last season

I scoured you tube & found a guy cutting hand holds for langstroths using a jig & a circular saw
    The jig was fairly easy to knock up & cuts a good hold into the poly
    It's a very quick modification once the jig is made & there's plenty of meat on the poly to do
    it on the rail walls

Iv'e also abandoned their floors & make them out of wood so that I can flame them in Spring

To improve the roof I get plastic garden trays attatch to a super & fill with kingspan offcuts
    This gives a deep insulated roof with an overhang to keep some of the rain out. (well any rain that's not horizontal in EK anyway)
    Dearer than the original but I think its worth doing

In my apiary I have found the winter mortality seems less than in the cedar boxes (judging by the amount of dead bees on the floor in Spring)

Bit more work than off the peg but with their broods at £17 ish it's a cheap hive

Following on from the new boxes being offered by 'modern beekeeping', it appears that Maisemore are now adding a commercial polyhive to their range which may explain their choice of the larger footprint of their nationals, but not seen a photo of the commercials yet -just speculating that they're all going to be interchangeable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Reading this thread with its list of modifications ,and problems that have to be overcome ,I'm impressed at the lengths folk are prepared to go to
    Using cedar Smith hives is so boringly simple
    Is there anything I can do to complicate things without resorting to buying poly hives?
    Lol! There must be something. Cut the feeder out of Paynes nucs if you have any and glue them into the Smiths? If you stop by at the association apiary some time I can show you Marshall Croall's special bolts in the side of his Smiths which allow a hand-hold metal bracket to be slipped on and off. Unfortunately he never gave me the brackets but they looked great for carrying hives.

I have bees in around 40 Paynes nucs (newer design and unaltered). They overwintered really well and all have hot crownboards at the moment. OK, top feeders are better than the side ones and some of the latter are less than wholesome with dead bees and syrup needing discarded but with the judicious use of a thumb for the less propolised frames you can tip the whole thing over and even rinse it out with bees in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Following on from the new boxes being offered by 'modern beekeeping', it appears that Maisemore are now adding a commercial polyhive to their range which may explain their choice of the larger footprint of their nationals, but not seen a photo of the commercials yet -just speculating that they're all going to be interchangeable.
    Bought one of Maisies new nuc with overhead feeder at Beetradex - for our Association.

Very nice design..
    Looks better than Paynes - stronger roof so less prone to buckling under weights..