Page 36 of 70 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Poly hive musings.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    I posted some photographs showing the lug-rest problem (I think with the above post) but I can't find them anymore. (Perhaps they were too large and got deleted ...)
    The photos are back - so, sorry for having reposted one of them. Perhaps Fatshark saw the same gremlin at work in Encore Demaree.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    The photos are back - so, sorry for having reposted one of them. Perhaps Fatshark saw the same gremlin at work in Encore Demaree.
    No need to apologise, still plenty of server space!

I did notice that GIFs seemed to have become invisible. There are one or two maintenance tools that would have been worth trying but only when I'm not falling asleep at the laptop, have some time, and have done a backup. So if they are back, it wasn't me! Will look into this more carefully whe I have time, which is very short at the moment ...

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    ... I did notice that GIFs seemed to have become invisible. ...
    Actually, Gavin, they're visible on my Nexus phone, but still not on the PC - I don't know if that information might help you to sort the problem (when you have time, of course).
    Kitta

Have I missed discussion of these? If so could someone point me in the right direction? If not looks like an interesting addition to the polyhive canon....

http://www.caddon-hives.co.uk/POLY-Beehives/

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Have I missed discussion of these? If so could someone point me in the right direction? If not looks like an interesting addition to the polyhive canon....

http://www.caddon-hives.co.uk/POLY-Beehives/
    I think they're the Maisiemore ones, Drumgerry. Another behemoth of a hive - but I like the nucs. I prefer them to the Paynes nucs.
    Kitta

I had totally missed that Maisemore had entered the poly hive fray. I wonder if anyone here has bought one of the Nationals and would share their thoughts?

Has anyone tried the Abelo polyhives: https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/poly-hi...ly-hive-super/

They look as though they're from the same stable as Abelo's miniplus mating nucs which are very solid and, I find, well thought out. The national polyhives come ready painted with good deep roofs and a good thick crown board. Tempting! Free delivery too.

So far have used only Swienty which are fine but the roofs are surprisingly thin.
    Last edited by Kate Atchley; 26-02-2016 at 06:39 PM.

They had bee space problems a couple of years back when they first came out and Abelo sold them off cheap on Ebay. You'd imagine they'd have those problems sorted by now though....

Been through this on another thread.

Poly units vary wildly in their quality and adaptibility. Some quite plainly set out to lock you into their product only. Once you start with them they have you over a barrel.

The Abelo product......actually Lyson........is made by a different process from others (I have a load of Smith floors made by Lyson) and although apparently harder and more substantial they are actually remarkably brittle. A drop on a corner tends to lead to a shattered box which is harder to repair than other makes.

Very helpful Calluna and thanks. I guessed this had been discussed before but ... hey ho ... couldn't find it.