Page 26 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Poly hive musings.

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........ If you need to stick it together with an adhesive use "evo-stick" . You might need to roughen up the surfaces with coarse sandpaper to achieve satisfactory adhesion / bonding.
    You are probably aware of this, but it may help others; use a toothed spreader for contact adhesive, not a straight edged one. The difference in achieving adhesion with sheets of plastic laminate is significant - correx is unlikely to be significantly different.

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    Where do you guys get correx from other than "FOR SALE" signs

Is it the type of thing B&Q or homebase stock ? I need to make up some big dummy boards and a varroa board.

Put MAQS on one of the poly hives on friday. Lots of white fume residue on the outside of the lovingly painted box. Farmer might not be happy with his brown wire fence either

Got a good deal on fleabay.

Cheers for the pointers.

Default Poly hive musings.

Got a good deal on fleabay.

Cheers for the pointers.
    Which one greengumbo? I found a supplier via the guineapigforum (!) which was reasonably priced but I'm also looking for local sign printers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Which one greengumbo? I found a supplier via the guineapigforum (!) which was reasonably priced but I'm also looking for local sign printers.

PM sent !

Anyone else used MAQs by the way ? I had a about a hundred dead bees out front the day after applying. The varroa drop was quite high but has settled down now. Seems quite a harsh but effective treatment. I have a second hive about 30cm away that I didnt treat but that had a wee spike in varroa drop after treating its neighbours. The fumes must travel a fair bit.

Blog Entries

I found a supplier via the guineapigforum (!) .......
    So that's what you do with the rest of your time!

Had it once in a restaurant in Cuzco, high in the Andes. It was OK, but perhaps a little over-rated.

PM sent !

Anyone else used MAQs by the way ? I had a about a hundred dead bees out front the day after applying. The varroa drop was quite high but has settled down now. Seems quite a harsh but effective treatment. I have a second hive about 30cm away that I didnt treat but that had a wee spike in varroa drop after treating its neighbours. The fumes must travel a fair bit.
    wonder if thats bees switching hives
    Varroa hitch a ride on drones more often than workers I think

[repeat post
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 22-07-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Default Poly hive musings.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    wonder if thats bees switching hives
    Varroa hitch a ride on drones more often than workers I think
    Interesting point ... but workers far outnumber drones (hopefully!) though this might be balanced a bit by drones drifting more. I'm not aware of seeing mites on drones more than workers ... other than in sealed brood obviously. Saying that, mite levels seem very low at the moment presumably due to the slow spring build up. We went through a 10cm patch of drone brood, both sides of the frame, and found no mites at all in a check last week.

Interesting point ... but workers far outnumber drones (hopefully!) though this might be balanced a bit by drones drifting more. I'm not aware of seeing mites on drones more than workers ... other than in sealed brood obviously. Saying that, mite levels seem very low at the moment presumably due to the slow spring build up. We went through a 10cm patch of drone brood, both sides of the frame, and found no mites at all in a check last week.

I am watching mite drops as always and test treated a hive just to check
    Check some drone brood as well
    The other day though I was in a hive checking and spotted a drone with a mite
    caught him removed mite
    Next day another hive, drones again hanging around inside. One had two mites on him caught him flung him out and he could fly just fine
    Thin evidence I know but you don't often see mites on bees unless things are bad (coincidence maybe)
    If drones are parasitised they are usually damaged and these guys were very fit
    "Taxi for Varroa"

For the first time last week I saw a drone with DWV. I'm hanging fire on varroa treatment till the first week of September when (if I'm lucky) I'll be taking off my heather honey.