Page 19 of 70 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Poly hive musings.

If you don't fancy the stanley knife for scoring then the tile scorer is less likely to lop bits off your fingers
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/tct-tile-sco...FYXMtAodUC4A-g

You get them in any diy that sell bathroom tiles

Thanks DG. Neat job.
    I see you've even used their frame runners.

Default Poly hive musings.

Has anyone used thinned solvent-based exterior gloss paint on dense poly hives? I've been searching the interwebs and see Murray (ITLD in the other place) recommending 'gloss' paint but have managed to avoid almost all decorating in my life, so don't know whether all gloss is solvent based or not. Being mean I bought some Wilkinsons Evergreen external gloss - on special offer for about £8 - and hoped to use it. It is solvent based.

I'm half way through converting a MB Lang nuc into a 2x3 frame National and would prefer the entire thing didn't melt in front of my eyes when I paint it ...

Hi Fatshark you do get gloss acrylic (water based paint)
    Lots of fumes off the solvent based paints
    High VOC I think that's Volatile Organic Compounds mean don't breath this
    PVA might protect them enough ?
    You can water it down thin

Blog Entries

Don't paint it with lemongrass oil, that would be my hot tip for the night. Must take some pictures of the outcome of the drops that didn't get wiped on my jeans. Yes, they do use exterior gloss. I remember a conversation on the lack of effect of solvents but wouldn't like to give advice on the basis of a half remembered natter. The paint is usually sprayed on, which might reduce the solvent load. I just went for masonry paint as suggested by John Laidler of MB at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75rKRXI87SE
    This is a spray paint so would have more solvents in a can
    Wonder whats in Lemongrass oil Gavin
    Lots of window/door paint is Acrylic these days

Default Poly hive musings.

That's exactly the effect I'm trying to avoid. Looks like I'll be seeking a refund and going with the masonry paint again ... around here the colours are rubbish, brick red, black, magnolia etc. I've used the red, it's OK, but the tin is almost empty and I fancied a change. It's also matt and doesn't seem particularly hard wearing.

Blog Entries

Try a pm to Murray on the other site. I know he's busy but he does like to be helpful when he can. I imagine that they use the same stuff as you've got, perhaps thinned for industrial-scale spraying (when the neighbours were out, I was told!).

Nip into the DIY like B&Q I think they can mix any colour you like
    It starts white and they just bung in the dye and start up the paint shaker thing
    http://www.trade-point.co.uk/services/paint-mixing/
    this sort of thing
    http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs...reservices.htm
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 23-06-2013 at 11:40 PM.

What is it about masonry paint and pastel colours?! Or the alternative.....sh**e brown!

Just bought a tin of Dulux Weatherseal smooth masonry paint in washed out green. But I am going to thin it a bit and try to spray it! I'm told HVLP spraying doesn't create much overspray but we'll see....