Page 14 of 70 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Poly hive musings.

Well you see it all depends on ones outlook. I have kit which is lasting as I would expect, and if I get 40 years out of it (though I won't as I'll be long dead, but some one else will) then it's a good deal and a good buy. If I spend half the money and get a quarter the life span then I am not amused. Some buy cheap and regret long, I prefer to pay a bit more and enjoy it.

PH

Yes that's the Swienty one. I have mainly langs but plan to overwinter some nat nucs using these. I understood that a piece of plywood in the "slot" would suffice butit needs more modding as they are designed for short frames. I don't have any Paynes so can't compare.
    Swienty stuff seems well made but I have reservations about that entrance.

I bought mine a couple of years ago (but not used much yet) so they were cheaper. I collected from Stoneleigh.
    Last edited by Black Comb; 07-02-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: More info.

Yup the entrance is rubbish, I use a 2" cutter and make a new one, then block up the old one. I use a square of ply iwth 8mm holes in it for a mouse excluder and that works well I have found. The nucs thrive in the poly though which is the main thing.

PH

Just reading through this thread and noticed the modded Paynes nuc with the feeder removed. Just wondering how people are feeding their bees using the modded version. Is it a frame feeder or does the Paynes eke create enough of a space for a contact feeder?

Blog Entries

The eke is about 3 inches deep.

I built wooden ekes for mine as I considered the £££ Paynes wanted was far too much. The wooden eke houses a block of Kingspan with a central hole to take a kilo of fondant. This solved a further defect in these nucs which is the roof thickness ... or, more correctly, thinness.

nuc1.jpgnuc2.jpg
    Last edited by fatshark; 21-02-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: A picture is worth a thousand words

I see Modern Beekeeping have their Langstroth nucs on offer at the moment - £29 each. Thinking of taking a punt on a couple and adapting for Nat frames. Anyone used them? They look very nice on the website but looks can be deceiving.

http://www.modernbeekeeping.co.uk/it...h-nucleus-hive

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    I see Modern Beekeeping have their Langstroth nucs on offer at the moment - £29 each. Thinking of taking a punt on a couple and adapting for Nat frames. Anyone used them? They look very nice on the website but looks can be deceiving.

http://www.modernbeekeeping.co.uk/it...h-nucleus-hive
    They look good but painting needed --whats that all about?why are they not weatherproof?---you don't need to paint a paynes nuc although you do have some other stuff to sort out
    I hate painting things

Ah but I have a cunning plan DR! I spent this Spring painting Swienty hive bodies ad nauseam - mind numbing! But coincidentally for another of my "things" I've just bought an HVLP spray turbine system. Guess what I'm going to be using that for?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Ah but I have a cunning plan DR! I spent this Spring painting Swienty hive bodies ad nauseam - mind numbing! But coincidentally for another of my "things" I've just bought an HVLP spray turbine system. Guess what I'm going to be using that for?!
    You have so much in common with the commercial guys!