Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Poly hive musings.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neils View Post
    Be interested to hear what you make of them. I'm not desperately impressed with the full size hive at the moment, but fir £30 a pop I nearly bought a couple of the Nucs.
    I bought 15 for the local association bees and have about half of them occupied at the moment. Impressed by the ability to get some very small clusters through the winter.

Bought four for myself when Paynes had their autumn sale, with ekes now that they are available. Very useful, I could see me routinely overwintering nucs in them to replace winter losses or sell.

G.

Blog Entries

Price is back up to £30 for the nuc today for bulk purchase or £39.50 for a single one.
    Very good value in the sale at £20.50

Blog Entries

Just took delivery of 63 Payne nucs on 3 pallets.
    They were well wrapped and I don't see any signs of damage apart from a light scrape or two.

Happy painting Jon!
    I've overwintered bees in these this year and last and have been pleased with the way they performed. Mine are all now butchered to remove the internal feeder which I found to be more trouble than it was worth.

--
    fatshark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Happy painting Jon!
    fatshark
    No chance. Only 2 of them are mine!

I've got 60 of the Paynes poly nucs and am pleased with the way the bees have done in them. However I too don't like the integrated feeder, very poorly thought out. Should of been supplied with an Eke at the same price as standard to allow for feeding or the use as a14*12.

Also got 6 of the poly hives as a trial, again the bees have done very well in them, however there are some serious quality and design flaws. The bees chew them if they find a weak point in the construction, and there are many ! The rooofs are far too tight to fit easily, the feeders are rubbish, too many drowned bees (before the mods) and the landing boards are ugly and unnecessary, too much wasted space for transportation or storage. The Scalloping to the boxes is excessive and degrades the thermal efficiency.

I won't be buying anymore, It's going to be swienty for my next order.
    Last edited by Neils; 06-02-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: You don't need to sensor supply names

Canna argue with any of those points. I just wish Paynes had done a bit more indepth research before diving in and getting it so wrong. Un-necessary. They sent me on e to review after going into production, pity it was not before.

I have no issues though with the Swienty models apart from the so called "migratory floor" which is far too heavy.

PH

If we are talking swienty nucs then the slot supposedly for national frames is a bit of a con. Might it be made for short lugs - perhaps smiths?
    After buying I mailed them about this but no reply.
    Also, the entrance looks a bit too far under.
    Only used them last year so no real evaluation yet.

Don't know the nucs you refer too as the Swienty ones I have are in theory Langstroths which I have modded to take National frames by putting in a feeder at one end. My Paynes remarks referred to the Nat hives not the nucs as I am very not impressed by them.

Just checked the Swienty site and they don't have a National nuc that I can see, this is the one I use: http://www.swienty.com/shop/vare.asp...&vareid=100035

PH
    Last edited by Poly Hive; 06-02-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Quite expensive though at 40 Euro plus whatever carriage is added on when you can get a Payne nuc and the eke for £20.50 carriage free for a bulk order.

I'll have a better idea of their attributes by the end of the summer as up to now I have only seen a couple in use.