PDA

View Full Version : Bee Education at Harlow Carr

HJBee
11-07-2012, 09:06 AM
They have regular talks for the public on Bee Keeping & General Pollination. They also have an Observation hive that you can lift the shutters on. However, I am wondering how often they change the bees as there was Chalkbrood at the bottom of the hive and the bees seemed a little tired/ lethargic. There was a queen in there with workers, no drones.1105

gavin
11-07-2012, 08:07 PM
It can be hard work keeping an observation hive going so they have my sympathies. Not something to do at some distance. We had an approach locally from the Scottish Wildlife Trust for one (or was it two?) of their reserves but I don't think that we were able to find someone close enough with the right amount of time on their hands. Dundee Museum had one for years which was a great attraction. Willie Robson had one at his place in the borders, maybe still does, but then he's a commercial beekeeper.

HJBee
11-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Someone had recently filled up the syrup feeder. Maybe the gardening staff do that? Can workers fly from an observation hive or are they all contained at all times, if so how often would you need to clean out dead bees/ replace frames etc & what would the average worker life span be if they never fly / forage? All the things is not thought of before yesterday's visit.

gavin
11-07-2012, 09:07 PM
The bees get distressed pretty quickly if not allowed out. It is done for some shows (incl the Dundee Flower Show) due to the nervousness of the organisers of the show, but I hate to see it. The observation hives at the RHS are free-flying and you can see all the wonderful behaviours you may have heard about from an itinerant lecturer some months ago. Can't immediately tell if these bees are free-flying but I don't see an escape route for them.

HJBee
11-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Didn't see any exit or any flying, but it was raining☔