PDA

View Full Version : RHS -The Garden Joins the Neonicotinoids debate

HJBee
30-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Just sat down to a lovely cup of Java & my newly arrived magazine, on page 18 a letter berating RHS for condoning use of Bayer Provado Bug Killer for leaf mining insects due to their compound and impact on bees navigation. The reply is from Andrew Halstead RHS Chief Scientist:-
Like all pesticides, this product has undergone extensive testing before permission to be marketed. Part of the research is concerned with what environmental effects are likely & includes testing on honeybees to see what effect it will have on bees foraging on treated plants & also on bees within the hive itself. The chemical regulation directorate (CRD) assesses new products & if satisfied with safety & environmental data, grants approval for sale & use in the UK. Monitoring of pesticides continues after they come into use. If the CRD decides that new results are significant & relevant to ways in which the pesticides are used, action is likely to be taken. The RHS dies not undertake this type of research and follow decisions of CRD as the expert panel.

HJBee
30-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Oh dear they are promoting use of Bayer Srayday Greenfly Killer only 8 pages after, does that mean there will now be an anti RHS campaign as with anything else Bayer & pesticide related?

chris
30-06-2012, 05:26 PM
This is the sort of use of neonicotinoids that should not be tolerated. But if a campaign means the same old load of misinformation, then it's likely to set up another battle rather than some sane consensus.

beeanne
30-06-2012, 09:02 PM
I receive the same magazine, and thought the RHS response was fair enough inso far as it went - simply that that they do not conduct such research and therefore go with whatever the CRD suggest.
They do suggest organic remedies for (eg) greenhouse pests (I think this is the article you're refering to re: greenfly?). They have also been good at getting the "plants for pollinators" thingummy off the ground. They aren't as bad as a lot of gardner-members are....

HJBee
30-06-2012, 09:48 PM
I agree, as RHS have to consider a widespread community of gardeners, some of who will not give 2 hoots for organics and anti pesticides and just want to grow massive vegetables or gregarious double blooms no matter what you pump into them to achieve this. Sometimes for the average person there is little alternative for their situation (time/ money). I have ongoing battles with slugs, sawfly, green & black fly and mice, I use organic products and set-free traps, but some times I just have to accept nature wins - other folk decide not to for their own reasons, because it is a choice. It is up to the individual to choose how informed that choice is and what social conscious to apply.

My post was to raise that the issue of neo'icides was being raised on a smaller individual gardener level as opposed to the agriculture / farm level seen on the forum, with the person focusing that this was a bad thing, without thought to the fact alternatives could be worse.

I thought it was handled well too!🌻

Jon
30-06-2012, 10:12 PM
I would never use pesticides in my garden or on my allotment.
I think that is lazy gardening or growing.
On a small scale, they are not necessary and there are alternatives such as interplanting crops, manually removing pests, spraying aphids with soapy water etc.
The obsession with everything in the garden or orchard having to be blemish free is completely daft.
I have never used roundup, although I am sorely tempted, as it is such a pita digging out docks and couch grass roots.

HJBee
01-07-2012, 07:12 AM
I think it is lazy & irresponsible on a large scale, even for small holdings, yes. However, would I prefer to see garden after garden paved over and sterile both to the eye and to the environment with little to offer any wildlife as opposed to greener spaces, just because they should use some chemical and pesticides on the market ( approved & licensed)? Not if that tips the balance of someone with low disposable income & limited free time who can't make time for organic non pesticide gardening (as it does demand more time & patience and more money in my experience). I would not be so judgemental on the individual.

Jon
01-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Sorry, don't mean to be judgmental, well maybe just a wee bit, I suppose it is more of an education thing about making gardens more hospitable for the creepy crawlies.
I have no times for lawns or lawnmowers myself.
I planted fruit trees and native trees I got from a conservation project in the front and back garden when we bought the house 12 years ago and they are pretty well up now.
I slash back a bit of undergrowth with a bill hook every now and again.
Saw a fox in the back garden about a month ago.
It was so wet here last week that the bottom of the garden was completely flooded and the tadpoles made a bid for freedom and were swimming up the garden path.

HJBee
01-07-2012, 12:33 PM
That would have been something to see!