PDA

View Full Version : Open Mesh Floors

lindsay s
15-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Hello

I've just purchased some open mesh floors for my Smith hives.

My hives currently stand on raised concrete slabs which are about 16" above the ground. The reason for this is my apiary is near a ditch which sometimes overflows.

I am trying open mesh floors for the first time to see if this cuts down on dampness and also chalk brood. Despite frequent brood comb replacements chalk brood is still a problem.

The hive floors will be sitting on slopping hive stands on top of the concrete slabs. My first optiion would be to use the stands with no legs which would raise the mesh to 4" above the slabs.
My second option would be to use the stands with legs and that would raise the mesh to 10" above the slabs. The new height of the hive entrances would be 20" or 26" above the ground but still 4" or 10" clear of the slabs.

Does anybody think that either or both these heights would be too draughty and cause more harm than good?

Where I live is very windy so is the risk worth taking or should I just stick with the solid floors?

Has anyone tried open mesh floors in exposed locations and how did you get on with them?

POPZ
15-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Morning Lindsay s - welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy being here. So you have already asked a good question which I am sure you will find much debate over - OMF's (open mesh floors) versus solid floors! I personally have used OMF all year. The only difference being that during the winter, I put a plastic skirt about 4ins wide round the base to prevent excess draughts. You can use anything really, even an empty super or an eke under the OMF. We are also very windy here and similar conditions to you. Providing there is good insulation above the crown board, the OMF helps keeep a good circulation of air going round thus helping to prevent damp build up above the cluster.

My only comment on height exposure of hive entrance to wind is that there should be some form of permeable windbreak. I use all sorts of things piled up in front - not solid but something like fallen branches (OOps - no trees your way!!) netting, old heather, granny's old mangle whatever. Something to break the force of the wind rather than stop it altogether. It also makes a nice cosy place to sit and watch the ladies at work!

All the best - POPZ

lindsay s
21-09-2010, 11:32 PM
I’ve had most of my hives on open mesh floors for the last 6 months and I must admit I was quite worried that O M F might not have been suitable for Orkneys cool windy weather. So far my bees haven’t seemed to suffer any ill effects.

As part of preparing my hives for winter I decided to lift them of their stands and clean under the floors. I was surprised at the amount of debris, which fell through the mesh over the summer and especially the amount of pollen that was lost. As well as the discarded chalk brood I also found quite a lot of moth larvae among the debris so I will clean under the floors more often in future. By the way lifting a 14x12 brood box full of stores is back breaking work.

Following the above advice from POPZ I intend to leave the insert trays out over the winter but I’ve sealed up the back of my hives to cut down on excess draughts.

I’ve posted a few photos to show that Doris isn’t the only one with a camera in Orkney.

POPZ
22-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Hello Lindsay again. So you have thirty years experience looking after the ladies. Well I hardly feel qualified to suggest anything to yourself as I am merely an eighteen month newbie! I do have one comment that you can take or leave. I have nothing solid under the floor other than legs and of course the OMF. A plastic skirt around the base extending about 6ins (no idea what that is in metric afraid - some sort of french stuff divided into parts of a metre I believe, providing one knows what a metre is?) below the hive. This cuts most direct wind draughts out but in itself helps circulate air within the hive. Providing the top is well insulated, and this year I am going to insulate the sides as well. I think this helps preventing any moisture or condensation collecting caused by the heat produced from the ladies.

Your piccies are great and Doris's don't even compare.
POPZ

gavin
22-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Your piccies are great and Doris's don't even compare.
POPZ

Now you've done it! Is that the tourist season over now?

all the best

Gavin

POPZ
22-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Hey Gavin - so you are still alive and hopefully keeping well?

Yea, well there's nothing like a bit of spooning things on a bit. And, no the season is not over yet, in fact still rather busy but have funeral tomorrow so a whole day off which means I can do a bit of colony uniting. One drone layer (think my neighbours drones are a bit iffy - well have to blame something other than myself! And one virgin queen that seemed to start and then decided that maybe my neighbours hives were more homely, finally a rather small nuc - so tomorrow all three will meet each other.

Sorry Lindsay, gone off topic as usual. All gavin's fault! - POPZ

lindsay s
22-09-2010, 10:18 PM
POPZ
My hive stands overhang the concrete slabs at the front leaving a small gap for the air to blow up underneath.I also leave an empty super above the crown board over the winter.I cover the feed holes in the crown board with mesh ,some of my colonies block up the mesh with propolis and some don't.But this will be my first winter trying this without solid floors.

Calum
23-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Hi,
over here I have my hives on omf's I leave the back and front open during the winter and use wire mesh inserts to prevent mice getting in.
Alternativley some people here just the queen mesh if its metal.
The bees dont mind the draughts @ -30°C and the air circulation minimises moisture, water condensation and so mould which I understand keeps the bees in better health.

Adam
23-09-2010, 01:47 PM
I use OMF's and have deep stands to put the hives on. However you can put the hive on a super which gives a 6" skirt to reduce drafts. I believe it is said that OMF's reduce chalk brood; I'd be interested to learn of any results. I have always used open floors myself so can't comment from ecperience being quite new to this game - nearly 4 years. Despite being 1/2 mile from the East coast (Popz managed to escape from here) my apiary is quite sheltered by some large conifers. (Not nice but they do the job).