PDA

View Full Version : How to prepare for the heather?

Feckless Drone
28-06-2012, 10:28 AM
With a high level of moisture in tayside then some decent weather in August might make for a decent trip to the heather. I'm keen to learn how to do this and have colonies that might, with uniting and making up, be strong enough to try. Murray McGregor gave some good tips for this at an association talk earlier this year and the Moray beekeepers newsletter (Sept 2011) also had some good advice so I'm enthused about it.

I would try to get cut comb and my question is what is the best way to prepare the frames. Unwired, thin foundation OK, but then should a full sheet be used or is it best to try a strip and let bees draw out the rest? Any experiences to pass on?

Poly Hive
23-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Too late for this year but my experience is that a full sheet of "proper" CC foundation works best.

PH

nemphlar
23-09-2012, 11:36 PM
I've always used extracted frames when heading to the heather, extract in end of July, move them to the heather and put the wet frames on. Worked well for years, haven't had a go since varroa struck. Never seen them build any combs of significance at the heather, too cold I think.

Poly Hive
25-09-2012, 08:23 PM
One advantage of poly hives but if you pause for thought where did all those sections of heather come from?

PH

nemphlar
25-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Possible same place I got mine cut from the comb and stuffed in a box

Poly Hive
29-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Hardly playing the game though is it? I wonder if the trading standards would consider that a section?

PH