PDA

View Full Version : Beekeepers in Mid-Argyll?

Dave66
21-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Hi All

I'm looking into the possibility of keeping bees and am wondering if there is anybody in the mid-argyll area. I'm a complete novice but have been thinking about keeping bees for a few years. I was wondering if there is any body near Lochgilphead that would be willing to take me under their wing and show me the ropes. I have some experience of being around bees and wasps as pest control is part of my job as a council environmental warden. I have a suit and gloves so don't need to borrow any. I think it would be best for me to see what is involved before taking the plunge.

Any help or advice would be most welcome.

cheers

Dave.

Trog
21-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Hello Dave, and welcome! Phil Moss is the secretary of Oban Beekeepers and I'm sure will be glad to help you find out more about beekeeping. His email is phil.moss'at'dsl.pipex.com.

Neils
21-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum. Definitely think that on a general basis you're taking a sensible approach, I'd also recommend contacting your local association and I'm sure Gavin or someone a bit more familar with your neck of the woods will be able to point you in the right direction on that front. [edit] beaten to it! Thanks Trog.

If they run a beginners course then I'd recommend attending that as well.

Forums like this one (and others) can be helpful and you're always welcome to ask any questions you like, we don't bite, honest! The starting out section contains some useful threads and questions that new and prospective beekeepers have already asked

Perusing a few books in the meantime also wouldn't hurt, you'll get a million and one recommendations on that front and there are a few threads on here that discuss books that are suitable for beginners

Dave66
21-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks for that guys.I'll try getting in touch with Phil in Oban, thats 30 miles from me or on our roads 45 minutes so well within visiting distance if Phil is ok with me calling on him. Hopefully he'll be able to help. Definitely going to get a couple of books too.

Thank you for your advice.

Dave.