PDA

View Full Version : Beekeeping for Dummies by Howland Blackiston

HJBee
31-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Anyone read this and found it helpful / accurate? Been gifted it.

Neils
31-05-2012, 03:35 PM
If its the one I'm thinking of I did read it when I was first considering starting.

I found it interesting but very US focused and in many respects of limited use as an ongoing reference. That's quite common with the "...for dummies" series as a whole though.

I do think that it gives a good flavour of what to expect as a beekeeper though even if bears and raccoons might not pose much if an immediate threat to us.

It does assume that you'll start with a package of bees, for example, which is quite common in the US but relatively rare here where youre far more likely to get a Nuc.

HJBee
31-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks Nellie

Bumble
02-06-2012, 01:29 PM
I borrowed it from the library, read it and gave it back. It's okay as an introduction, but is US-centric. Almost any of the new to beekeeping type books is okay as an introduction, but that's where they seem to stop.

Hooper is still the bible, if you get a copy it will soon become well-worn.

Neils
02-06-2012, 01:32 PM
I know this will get me burned at the stake, but I don't like hooper's book very much. The information's OK, if somewhat out of date in some places but it's dull as dishwater to read

Jimbo
02-06-2012, 03:59 PM
I downloaded Roger Patterson's book Beekeeping a practical guide on my Kindle. I have not read the book from cover to cover yet, however a few of our first year beekeepers have given it good reviews.

Neils
02-06-2012, 04:09 PM
I've read Rogers book, it is pretty good but there's a few 'Rogerisms' in it. You can play the roger drinking game: take a drink every time you're told to hold the smoker between your knees!

I can live with them in the supers but I really can't agree that castellated spacers in the brood boxes are a good idea and I've used 14x12s and I quite like them :)

gavin
02-06-2012, 06:23 PM
..... castellated spacers ......

Unlike me to be so dogmatic, I know, but .... spawn of the devil!!! :eek:

Neils
02-06-2012, 06:31 PM
I agree, I hate the things even in supers. In the brood boxes I think it's asking for trouble, one they're propolised a bit they are very difficult to remove frames from smoothly and can agitate the bees before you've even done anything.

The Drone Ranger
02-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Lots of trendy or worthy contributions to beekeeping are bias and boring by turns.

I like a nice cheery and slim volume

Honey Bees A guide to Management by good old Ron Brown

Principles of Practical Beekeeping by Robert Couston

For Swarming get L E Snelgrove's book on the subject

For Disease and Varroa always get the latest from Fera
https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/index.cfm?pageid=93
They are comprehensive and up to date

Well that's my recommended list anyway :)

Neils
02-06-2012, 06:50 PM
I like David Cramp's Practical guide to Beekeeping.

Not overly bestowed with photos though but I've found it a very useful book.

The Drone Ranger
02-06-2012, 07:21 PM
I like David Cramp's Practical guide to Beekeeping.

Not overly bestowed with photos though but I've found it a very useful book.

Great book bit too thick to make the cut though :)

beeanne
02-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Sue Bubbnell "A book of bees".
Not for technical reference, but for the bedside cabinet / park bench /commute to work.

The Drone Ranger
02-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Sue Bubbnell "A book of bees".
Not for technical reference, but for the bedside cabinet / park bench /commute to work.

Thats a new one on me

How about Beekeepers Folly
John Ratcliff
Thats quite entertaining not very useful and a bit thick though :)

Beejud
03-06-2012, 12:33 PM
My standby references are
Ted hooper- dull to read but practical
Clive de bruyn - (practical Beekeeping) - easier reading and very practical

For laugh out loud done that, got the T shirt - The Bad Beekeepers Club by Bill Turnbull. I could write the sequel for that!

Best of all though, and something I turn to regularly is my download and printed copy of My Beekeeping Year written by Ian Craig and available on the SBA website. It's the series of articles he did for the magazine and is based on the double brood chamber method and even better, is based on the Scottish seasons. I refer to this time and time again

The Drone Ranger
03-06-2012, 04:01 PM
My standby references are
Ted hooper- dull to read but practical
Clive de bruyn - (practical Beekeeping) - easier reading and very practical

For laugh out loud done that, got the T shirt - The Bad Beekeepers Club by Bill Turnbull. I could write the sequel for that!

Best of all though, and something I turn to regularly is my download and printed copy of My Beekeeping Year written by Ian Craig and available on the SBA website. It's the series of articles he did for the magazine and is based on the double brood chamber method and even better, is based on the Scottish seasons. I refer to this time and time again

Yes Bill Turnbull got a few laughs but he wasn't that bad at beekeeping compared to me at least.
Ian Craig did a great job in his series all useful stuff plus some original ideas that don't pop up elsewhere.
Ted Hooper not for me I'm Afraid

If you live on the East coast of Scotland Beekeeping by Cumming and Logan is old but good (1950) A. Cumming was the Sec. of Inverness BA and Margaret Logan lectured at North Of Scotland Ag College on beekeeping

Neils
03-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Yes Bill Turnbull got a few laughs but he wasn't that bad at beekeeping compared to me at least.
Ted Hooper not for me I'm Afraid

We agree on something then :)

The Drone Ranger
03-06-2012, 06:43 PM
We agree on something then :)

Lots of things probably most

Beekeeping by Cumming and Logan has a section on spreading the brood and why that was necessary in big hives like the Glenn which had 15 frames
Well worth a read