PDA

View Full Version : Virkon S

Ruary
28-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Several times the discussion has raised the position regarding Virkon S and its disinfecting powers.
Several years ago I contacted the manufacturers to query whether thay had any data which would show that it was effective for sporess of american foul brood.

as the subject has been raised on the bbka forum, (and at Greenmount this year) I approached the manufacturer again.

I quote their reply:
NOTE (The independent reports which are mentioned deal with European Foul brood and the recomendation is for a 2% solution sprayed on and allowed to dry.

These reports are the Swiss codes of practice (translated from French & german) for European foul Brood if any one wants a copy send me a PM with their email address and I will forward a copy to them.

Ruary

Dear Mr Rudd,

Thank you for your email.

We confirm that we have not carried out any trial work regarding bees ourselves and that we do NOT have data re Virkon(r) S on spores of Paenabaccilus larvae.

However, we do have an independent report in both German and French language and attach these together with the English translations, which you may find of interest.

Thanking you once again for your enquiry.

with best regards,

Heather Hobbs

Sales Assistant-Animal Health Systems EMEA

DC&F - Antec International Limited

End Quote
This is a cross post with the BBKA forum

Neils
28-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Timely post Ruary, I think there was a bit of discussion about it here as well a day or two ago. It might be worth us sticking the reports up and linking to them, or the translation at least, so that the details are available.

Ruary
28-05-2012, 10:42 PM
I have trouble with attachments but have forwarded the reports to Nellie for them to be placed on the forum.

Neils
28-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Translation from the German can be viewed/downloaded: Here (http://www.ncsdatasolutions.co.uk/beekeeping/VirkonBeeKeepingInfo.pdf).

Thanks Ruary.