PDA

View Full Version : Bee keeping supplies

EmsE
25-05-2012, 10:46 PM
I have my 4 colonies doing well, carried out an AS on wednesday and have a hive set up at the side of my shed in case of a swarm looking for a new home. It suddenly occurred to me that Im running out of equipment, especially frames. When I ordered 50 brood frames last winter, i couldn't imagine using them all, but it's really not that many, particularly when working towards the double brood system.

So, Ive spent most of the evening browsing the different bee keeping equipment websites (the only type of shopping I like besides the garden centre) to price up what I need and obviously had to browse at the would like section too:D.I've noticed there is, in some cases a big difference in price and wondered if this would be an indicator to the quality of the product, or more to do with the reputation I.e more established businesses can get away with charging more than the smaller / newer businesses.

It is clear that price fixing is not an issue in the bee keeping equipment market. :cool:

Neils
25-05-2012, 10:52 PM
One thing to bear in mind is that some suppliers add the VAT onto the list price, others, most notably Thornes (unless they've changed) don't add it on until afterwards.

The market generally is looking pretty good from a consumer point of view I think, there are lots of small hive makers, for example turning out fantastic quality kit who can compete with the big boys because they don't have to charge VAT yet. I bought some nucs last year which are fantastic quality, really well thought out, supplied pre-built and within a pound or two of the flat pack stuff from elsewhere.

nemphlar
25-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Beekeeping is classic what the market will stand, and a lot of the older dealers will be used to big margins, I,d give the cheaper ones a go, don't get me started on £24 can holders

Jon
25-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Hi Emse.

So who do you reckon is doing the best deal on super frames. I am short quite a few.

Neils
25-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Not necessarily best deal, but I like the frames from Paynes right now. They've also given me good service on the phone even though it was me that messed up.

Jon
25-05-2012, 11:07 PM
I got 50 Thorne seconds DN4 Hoffman flatpack for £28 at the UBKA conference end feb and everything currently on offer seems to be double that price.
I have done them all with fishing line and am currently working them into my colonies. Great weather for getting frames drawn at the moment. Will check Paynes, Nellie.

Neils
25-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Fishing line in super frames? You've more patience than me I use nothing, put the good ones for cut comb and extract the rest, cut out the old (2+ seasons) comb afterwards for wax.

For super frames even I probably wouldn't complain too much about Thornes seconds, my bad. I'll never buy seconds brood frames again though, I had to buy a bloody dremel just to get the sidebars onto the top bar and my time is far too bloody valuable to mess around like I have done this year putting seconds frames together.

Jon
25-05-2012, 11:13 PM
The ones I bought in feb were deeps but I am short a load of super frames now.

EmsE
25-05-2012, 11:19 PM
That's a good point about the VAT. Thrones have now started adding it to the quoted price- it took me by surprise to begin with as I automatically assumed it was a hike in the prices until I looked closer.

Just done a quick check for you Jon on 5 sites. For SN1 frames it would be highland bee supplies only if the price includes VAT. Solway would be the best otherwise. However there is p & p to consider. Highland don't specify- you need to contact them to find out. I'm looking for DN5 frames and found the same results.

Hmmm, I have a Nuc on my shopping list Nellie could you point me in the right direction?
Cadden hives have an advert in the SBA mag this month with an excellent price for a hive. May give them a call to check.

Jon
25-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Thanks for checking. I'll have a look.

A Nuc you say!
A correx nuc will set you back about 50p. Another 75p if you want an open mesh floor in it.

Neils
25-05-2012, 11:32 PM
It looks like his website is down at the moment or he's forgotten to renew his domain. It's normally The Beehive Workshop. If you frequent the Beekeeping Forum at all, PM Tom Bick.

These are what I got:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5101/5701364350_d0c016f16f_z.jpg

EmsE
25-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Where do you get the cortex from? I missed my opportunity with the election signs

Neils
25-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Smile at your local Estate agent.

EmsE
25-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Thanks Nellie, They look impressive!

Jon
25-05-2012, 11:40 PM
cortex

My cortex is in my head I hope, along with my hind brain!

Election signs for me but you can buy the stuf from Cordek.

kevboab
26-05-2012, 10:40 AM
For second quality frames usually available throughout the year then C Wynne Jones is well worth a look. Prices very reasonable.

Bumble
26-05-2012, 02:38 PM
It looks like his website is down at the moment or he's forgotten to renew his domain. It's normally The Beehive Workshop. If you frequent the Beekeeping Forum at all, PM Tom Bick.

I'd heard, through the grapevine, that he's planning to stop. Maybe somebody knows for sure if he is, or isn't, still making hives.

Neils
26-05-2012, 05:58 PM
That's a shame, his stuff is really well made and was pretty competitive price wise if I remember rightly.