PDA

View Full Version : Vorkon s

GRIZZLY
25-05-2012, 03:08 PM
What is the thinking with regards the solution strength of VIRKON S for hive sterilization? DuPont suggested 1% i.e. 10gms of virkon to 1 litre of water.However they sent to me via email a report by the French and German beekeeping associations (institutes) suggesting the use of a 2% i.e.20 gms virkon to 1 litre of water.Another disinfectant suggested was "AMBICIDE"-anyone heard of this or used the product?

Jon
25-05-2012, 03:53 PM
I use the Virkon tablets, one tablet to half a litre of water.
I think it kills everything except AFB spores although Ruary or someone else may well correct me on that.
Haven't heard of AMBICIDE before.

Jimbo
25-05-2012, 06:35 PM
I use Virkon just about everyday at work. It works on viruses, bacteria and fungus. The recommended strength is 1% ie 10g to 1 litre of warm water. When you start to lose the pink colour it is time to make a fresh batch usually after 5 days. It should not be used on food contact surfaces. Making it stronger is just a waste as it will not work any more efficiently.

Ruary
25-05-2012, 09:06 PM
I use Virkon just about everyday at work. It works on viruses, bacteria and fungus.
I asked the manufacturer about AFB spores
They were not able to state that Virkon S would kill the spores. It might deal with the vegetative state but I don't know.
Ruary